How much coolant loss is normal?

Almost everyone of these trucks will have the "CRACKED" clips both sides...means nothing other than CHEAP.  Look up into your corners for the very subtle weeping on the cooler.  

Yeah, the cracked clip side looks ok. The other side is very dirty on the radiator face. I don’t see any visible moisture right now but I’m thinking it’s seeping through in that spot over time and collecting dirt. Just as pictured in that bulletin link I posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, royalkangaroo said:

Yeah, the cracked clip side looks ok. The other side is very dirty on the radiator face. I don’t see any visible moisture right now but I’m thinking it’s seeping through in that spot over time and collecting dirt. Just as pictured in that bulletin link I posted above.

Yes, I saw that picture and seems suspect......CLEAN IT OUT GOOD.  Check in day or two?

That is a known result of the Thermal expansions from the original T-Stat.  Not sure on your situation..is it under warranty?  If not buying the parts yourself and doing it yourself would save you Big bucks!  Everybody should have some free time on their hands...LOL.  I understand some people don't have the time,tools, or locations to do such things too.

Yes, I saw that picture and seems suspect......CLEAN IT OUT GOOD.  Check in day or two?

That is a known result of the Thermal expansions from the original T-Stat.  Not sure on your situation..is it under warranty?  If not buying the parts yourself and doing it yourself would save you Big bucks!  Everybody should have some free time on their hands...LOL.  I understand some people don't have the time,tools, or locations to do such things too.

Update: Got back from an hour drive and it’s definitely wet with coolant in that top corner of the radiator. Now I get to go fight with with dealership to cover it under the powertrain warranty.

42 minutes ago, royalkangaroo said:

Update: Got back from an hour drive and it’s definitely wet with coolant in that top corner of the radiator. Now I get to go fight with with dealership to cover it under the powertrain warranty.

Now it's confirmed!  Bumper to Bumper covered....Probably not after that?  Hopefully, GM says hey....this has been issue for many vehicles and we will handle some of the costs!  GM is usually better than the other with this imo.

• Like 1

Service Bulletin Bulletin No.: PI1513F
Date: January, 2019

Subject: Coolant Smell and/or Slight Leak at Radiator
Models: 2015-2016 Cadillac Escalade Models
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (Plant Code G*) (without RPO NHT - Max Towing Pkg)
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (Plant Code F*, Z*)
2015-2016 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2014 GMC Sierra (Plant Code G*) (without RPO NHT - Max Towing Pkg)
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 (Plant Code F*, Z*)
2015-2016 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon Models, Yukon Denali Models
Equipped with 4.3L, 5.3L or 6.2L Engine (RPOs LV1, LV3, L83 or L86)
2016 models: SOP to 15 Nov 2015
*For Build Plant Information See 11th Position of VIN

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that they may smell coolant while driving or outside the truck. This could include a
coolant leak under the front of the truck.
Recommendation/Instructions
Technicians should start by inspecting the radiator for signs of leaks. Normally, signs of leaks can be found where
the tubes attach to the headers.

This condition may be the result of excessive thermocycles within the cooling system caused by excessive cycling of
the thermostat. These excessive thermocycles within the coolant system may cause the tubes to fatigue, crack and
leak at the radiator headers. To correct this condition, a new thermostat has been designed that eliminates the
thermostats excessive cycling.
If this condition is found, in addition to replacing the radiator, the engine coolant thermostat housing (w/thermostat)
must also be replaced. Refer to Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing Replacement in SI, which is located in the
Engine Heating and Cooling section.

Edited by elcamino
  • Thanks 1

Dealer replaced radiator today, referenced bulletin P1513F. Also had them replace the oil cooler lines as they were seeping at the fittings. All covered under powertrain warranty. Thanks everyone for the help!

• Like 2