Turtl3Up's 2018 Silverado

Turtl3Up

It's a small nitpick, but I've never really liked the look of my empty stake pockets just being out there all naked. I know some people like to use them as handholds for climbing into the bed and most sane people can probably just ignore them. It's also possible that I was itching to do something to the truck and $20 never got anyone in trouble. Mysteries of the universe.

I poked around a bit and found these laser-measured and texture-matched caps at Engineered by Schildmeier for a cool $25. You get exactly what it says on the tin. They go in easy with a few taps of the palm and lock in tight. They sit flush and look factory. No complaints at all.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Edited by Turtl3Up
  • Like 1

It's a small nitpick, but I've never really liked the look of my empty stake pockets just being out there all naked. I know some people like to use them as handholds for climbing into the bed and most sane people can probably just ignore them. It's also possible that I was itching to do something to the truck and $20 never got anyone in trouble. Mysteries of the universe.

I poked around a bit and found these laser-measured and texture-matched caps at Engineered by Schildmeier for a cool $25. You get exactly what it says on the tin. They go in easy with a few taps of the palm and lock in tight. They sit flush and look factory. No complaints at all.

Before.thumb.jpg.29c08012065a4cb31b65c9b62f9b379b.jpg
After.thumb.jpg.0eaa3f5556faf4056ccf25402fd69fef.jpg

I’m actually a huge fan of this as well. It’s the little things in life. Ordered, thanks! :tips hat:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Being from a colder climate, batteries have always been top of mind for auto maintenance. I don't think I've ever lived through a winter where someone I know (or I) didn't have battery struggles on a particularly cold morning. I've had my eyes on AGM batteries for some time for their long list of benefits, so in outfitting the truck, I was just waiting for the original flooded lead battery to show signs of weakness.

A little over a month ago, it started showing some difficulties remote starting. It would click, die, and I'd have to start it again. Then, it started taking longer and longer to start, especially on cold days. I started shopping around for an AGM a day before I got the "low battery" warning on starting up. I've always had great experiences with Interstate Batteries, so in this I went with their MTX-94R/H7 AGM battery, it cost me a little under $200 after core exchange.

When I went to go pick it up, the truck wouldn't start. A little electric whirring, then nothing. Of course. I borrowed the wife's car, grabbed the battery, and made the swap in what happened to be the last snowstorm of the year stuck out in the driveway. Probably the most complicated battery install I've ever had to do, but once you figure out how to maneuver the big battery into the small space, it's not so bad.

I got in, all of the accessories fired up, my "low battery" warning was gone, but that was all. It still wouldn't start. Not sure how I got lucky enough to have a dead battery and starter at the same time, but that's what it ended up being. A cool $600 later (including towing), I've got a new starter and the truck is back to normal. It kinda blows me away how fast it starts now. Guess I got used to the slow cranking over time and didn't notice.

MTX-94R-H7_FRONT.jpg

Edited by Turtl3Up