AVS In Channel Vent guards

My new 2020 Silverado AVS in-channels install was a bit troublesome.
The window safety system and tight fit of the guards in the channel required some ingenuity I hadn't previously experienced on my other vehicles .....especially on the front windows.
AVS customer service was useless,  as they failed to even return my call after numerous attempts. 
Some plastic shims (easily found at your hardware store for a few bucks...look near the household doors section) carefully placed and stacked in the front & rear along with a few more spaced on the inside of the window between the weatherstrip after placement then left for a couple of days helped widen the channel just slightly enough to allow the guards to fit properly & set the 3m tape without the window continually catching and enganging the auto safety.
The channel clips provided with the guards are definitely necessary on the rear guards...and seem AVS probably should have provided more for both sides of the rears, and possibly for the rear edge of the front guards.

Prep well with the scuff pad, use your own extra alcohol preps to clan well.
Don't peel all the tape backing before inserting, just peel enough from each end to grasp, roll up window almost fully closed, then pull the backing at each end...then roll window up completely.

Highly recommend another set of hands to assist, as it takes a good amount of manipulation to get the window up all yne way into the channel against the guards.
Window safety can be temporarily bypassed by holding button in the lower position first, then holding again in the the up...see your GM owners manual.
These are still a fairly easy install for most consumers if care and patience is practiced ....though aren't a "install and use immediately" item. plan on either not driving the vehicle, or not rolling down windows for a few days while leaving the shims in place 
AVS should absolutely make this better understood.

It's been a few weeks and no issues or signs of leaks.
I wish the GM would just get with the times and make these an integral part of every factory build and save everyone the trouble.

Hope this helps save you some aggravation.

3 hours ago, StLTrailBoss said:

My new 2020 Silverado AVS in-channels install was a bit troublesome.
The window safety system and tight fit of the guards in the channel required some ingenuity I hadn't previously experienced on my other vehicles .....especially on the front windows.
I wish the GM would just get with the times and make these an integral part of every factory build and save everyone the trouble.

Hope this helps save you some aggravation.

NO....what would really save aggravation is not buying those in the first place! I had known better from the Weathertechs I had installed in my previous vehicles, but was in a rush and bought them anyway. Doesn't require ingenuity to install, just good instructions and the provided instructions were confusing because  some of the edges are out-channel and taped to the outside of the  pillars......try to install the whole deflector in-channel and you've got problems! Wasted my money buying those flimsy deflectors because the thicker plastic with machined edges more expensive ones, e.g. Weathertech or E.G.R weren't yet available for the new T1 bodies. Disobeyed rule #1 taught by the School of Hard Knocks....."It always turns out to be more expensive when you go cheap"

Ripped the AVS off as soon as E.G.R came out with a 4 window set (Weathertech only had fronts at that time) and the extra bucks for them were worth every nickel if for nothing else for better appearance, durability, and function. The AVS only cover the top edge of the front windows, the others wrap around all the way behind the mirror eliminating and wind noise. And E.G.R s come in black matte finish to match the trim on the RST's.  And no troublesome install....all 4 installed in less than 10 minutes and have been firmly in place for almost a year.

Thank you E.G.R.

DSCN0981.JPG.9d0e997db0ab16d6f040d158f024c4f1.JPG

Edited by Thomcat
grammer
  • Like 2

I went through 3 sets of AVS before switching to weathertech. Cracked multiple times, had the pass side warp awful. I did install and leave my windows up for about a week. Install went smooth but many issues after.

Ryan B.

Installed the AVS and had them less than a week and ripped them out of my truck as well as my wifes vehicle and returned them and bought the stick ons.  I prefer the in channel but they can be a pain. I followed the instructions to the "T" and still failed.