Trailer Disconnected but still getting power?

So recently my truck started giving me the "Trailer Disconnected" popup and I looked in the trailering app, and sure enough it was not there.  I am getting all the proper lights (brake, signals, running), but with that message I am unable to see the TPMS or log my mileage. The only way to get around this is shut down the truck, unplug, crank back up and plug in. It recognizes the connection and I select my profile. There is no set time on how long before it drops the connection. I have actually heard a small click coming from the back somewhere when it has done it, but not sure what to check back there or if it is another issue. All fuses associated with the trailer in the front are good...

Any ideas? Could it be it is asking for too much power and the truck safeties itself? I did change 2 LED brake lights in the back (they are the same exact ones) and now properly lit versus dimly lit. Anything will help!

I havnt had this issue but I think GM recommends plugging and unlugging with the truck turned off.  Only thing I have seen close to this is when I failed to pick a trailer profile after starting truck. Trailer lights will work but I get the "no trailer connected" message. I've always been able to go into the app and select the trailer and it clears it. 

I havnt had this issue but I think GM recommends plugging and unlugging with the truck turned off.  Only thing I have seen close to this is when I failed to pick a trailer profile after starting truck. Trailer lights will work but I get the "no trailer connected" message. I've always been able to go into the app and select the trailer and it clears it. 

My experience as well, the app should say “trailer NOT SELECTED” rather than “trailer disconnected”
Try going to the trailer app (while stopped won’t work while driving) and select your trailer.
If it does get disconnected they your electric brakes, if they work your still connected and this verifies a ground. Next step try a turn signal, if the screen goes to the side view camera the truck definitely knows there is a trailer connected.
If neither works I recommend you take a small wire wheel and a dremmel tool to clean the contacts of your connector and smear some dielectric grease on your connector to keep the water out, and see if that improves your connection.
I use the grease and the only part you need to watch out for is dropping the plug in the dirt. It’s a pain in the ass to clean after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1