Wheel Spacers & Stock Lugs

On 6/21/2020 at 8:31 AM, KOZ45 said:

What size wheel spacers will bolt on 100% and not require cutting or trimming the stock lugs?

Thanks!

Mine are 2 1/4 but 2 1/2 will fit, no cutting, or trimming. 4WP is the name of the company I bought mine, just to reiterate Mine are Hub Centric and wheel centric

OP; I have 1.25" G2 wheel spacers and had to trim my studs, to be sure you can remove a wheel/tire and measure how long are the studs, then get spacers wider than that.

1 hour ago, lovecars said:

Mine are 2 1/4 but 2 1/2 will fit, no cutting, or trimming. 4WP is the name of the company I bought mine, just to reiterate Mine are Hub Centric and wheel centric

The conical nuts will center the wheel on its place, regardless if the spacer has a hub centric edge, so there shouldn't be a problem

Here is a video i made a couple years ago when i didnt know much better?. Good times tho.

Sorry to disagree with you, if you run your truck in any competition, YOU are actually putting your life and the life of spectators, your competitors etc...in very serious danger.  actually if the car or truck is entered in a race, you have to have it teched and a sticker is applied to the car showing that is inspected. if they see you don't have hub centric wheels you will not be able to race. Now if you run the truck doing crazy stunts then having hubcentric wheels are even more important. Studs are not high quality steel, try oover torquing them and you will see them deform.

Even stock cars have Hub centric wheels, even tough the vehicle has conical studs.

I have raced cars, both off road and on track and I've seen guys loose their wheels at over 100mph. there is no way to save the vehicle and unless you have a good roll cage and 5 point harnesses, you will not survive.

Hub centric spacers are not that more expensive than hubcentric ones.

My truck in the pictures has a big spacers because they are Nissan wheels and the lug nuts are not conical, they are flat with a washer like the old days. If one nut gets loose the car will feel it on the steering wheel.

There are lots of things I don't know about, but spacers I know a lot about.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KOZ45 said:

M14 x 1.5 Lug Nuts
Stud is 31mm long....so 1.22"
Factory lug nut is 44.5mm long......so 1.75"

Yes, that's correct, In case the studs are too long there are two choices.

1. to install shorter lugs, just remember they have to work without cutting.

2. install spacers that have enough room for the factory studs. Most all have that unless you are installing a "fit all"

And again on the danger of repeating myself and being ******, don't forget Hub-centric and Wheel-centric. 

spacer.jpg

23 hours ago, KOZ45 said:

So 1.50" thick spacers should fit without any stud trimming needed

It doesn't work like that; the length of the studs sticking out from your rotor has hast to be smaller than the spacer you are installing, normally the spacers have to be 2" or more for the studs to hide inside the adapter. But you have some choices, install shorter studs, or cut the bolts. When you cut the bolts make sure you don't over heat them otherwise they will loose some of the temper and everytime you torque the bolts, they stretch until they fail. 

Spacers are a hot topic to lots of manufacturers, installers and others..

Patience required to read below; contains a LONG DIATRIBE OF OLD MAN MEMORIES... DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ABOUT OLD MEN STORIES...

This is a story about spacers (true)

Some of you were not even born then

In 1993 I was looking to buy a 1911 porsche, it was year end for them. Porsche was shipping most of the cars with the widee body kit (think about 6-8" sticking out from the car. they used them mainly to install 11" wide wheels or wider... I looked at the rear of the car and it had like 5" or 6" spacers... wow... 

The a few years later I ran one of my Corvettes in the Silver State Classic, it's run on Highway 318 north part of the state. Highway was closed for 3 days. I was a (993)  Porsche 911 with those big spacers running the 190MPH class, I ran 150 MPH class, it was a timed event so the only time you would pass anyone would because they too slow, if you start passing people you are going to fast and you will get disqualified, some places I was running 170 mph or so because there where places that you could run your bracket and you had to make time... But I talk to the guy on the Porsche and he was totally confident on the spacers... 

Google Silver State Classic.

I have read i can use 1.5" with my stock wheels as they have cavities between the lug holes where the stock stud can protrude a little when running spacers, seen the pics of it. So it depends on that as well. Definitely hub and wheel centric.

Anyone have any recomendations on brands for the spacers ?  I have seen stuff on you tube of catastopic failures with the noname brand spacers.  I was thinking of the rough country 2" spacers.  Maybe finding a little wider, not sure untill i get the flares on.  I plan to run the warn 4 x flares with stock wheels, so need to push them out a bit so they fill the wheel wells better, without they will look lost.  I do like the stock wheels, so didnt want to give them up.