Key stuck in ignition

mjcmichigan

Question

There is an interlock between the ignition switch and the “Park”

Sensor.

If you leave the truck in accessory mode.. in 4-6 hours you will get a low battery warning via onstar.

Remote start does not work if the truck is not in park.

For me.. I have avoided going to the dealer because, the will spend a lot of money working on the key...and the issue is the park sensor placement.

My never fail routine (so far).

Foot on brake stopped, push forward and right to park... hold the park shifter forward and right. Foot off brake, let truck settle, release hold on park, remove key.

Replacing the ignition switch..not the problem... $700...

I don’t know cost on the park switch. I imagine as they get more of these to fix, they will get smarter...

The is a 2017 Canyon diesel. Diesel is awesome, Canyon has been really a great truck...my first problem... 37,000 miles.

Ave fuel economy over 37,000 is 27.0 mpg, best is 38.4 over 50 miles... I 75 through Kentucky with heavy fast traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 answers to this question

On 7/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, mjcmichigan said:

There is an interlock between the ignition switch and the “Park”

Sensor.

If you leave the truck in accessory mode.. in 4-6 hours you will get a low battery warning via onstar.

Remote start does not work if the truck is not in park.

For me.. I have avoided going to the dealer because, the will spend a lot of money working on the key...and the issue is the park sensor placement.

My never fail routine (so far).

Foot on brake stopped, push forward and right to park... hold the park shifter forward and right. Foot off brake, let truck settle, release hold on park, remove key.

Replacing the ignition switch..not the problem... $700...

I don’t know cost on the park switch. I imagine as they get more of these to fix, they will get smarter...

The is a 2017 Canyon diesel. Diesel is awesome, Canyon has been really a great truck...my first problem... 37,000 miles.

Ave fuel economy over 37,000 is 27.0 mpg, best is 38.4 over 50 miles... I 75 through Kentucky with heavy fast traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bad shifter handle or shifter control.  Shouldn't have avoided the dealer as they'd have found this pretty quick:

#PI1429B: Ignition Key Cannot Be Removed and/or Does Not Rotate to the Off Position - (Jun 2, 2017)

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that they cannot remove the ignition key and/or that the key may not fully rotate to the “off” position (Engine does shut off).

Customers may also comment that the shift lever button appears to be already depressed.

This may be caused by the transmission control lever knob assembly not being fully seated when the vehicle was assembled, causing the shifter button to not fully engage/disengage.

Recommendation/Instructions

Technicians should inspect and verify that the transmission control lever knob is fully seated and engaged and operating correctly before replacing any parts. The shifter knob button should stand out (popped out) and NOT have the appearance of being depressed or pushed in.

If the shifter assembly is properly installed and the condition still exists, refer to SI for further diagnosis. If diagnosis finds that the shifter control lever knob needs to be replaced, ONLY replace the transmission control lever knob. DO NOT replace the transmission control.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage (Canada Base Warranty coverage), use the following labor operation. Reference the Applicable Warranties section of Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) for coverage information.

Hopefully you didn't spend $700 on an ignition switch.....

Edited by newdude

I did not get hit for 700, but wife has a retired friend who the dealer robbed.

I’m at 39,000 and the dealership recently flipped hands. Since then, I haven’t been impressed. Been with them 20 years and was really happy until 6 months ago. Not sure what I will do when this one comes off lease in 3 months. I like the GMC’s. Probably will have to have a heart to heart with the dealership manager/new owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk