Power Mirror Wiring Problem

Hello all. I just acquired a 06 2500HD LT. In the process of tailoring it to my needs I was wanting to swap the tow mirrors for stock mirrors. Initially I noticed the power mirrors did not adjust with the controls. Turns out someone had the bright idea to cut the plug on the wire harness. What is even more strange is that they left the plug on the tow mirrors so that's why they don't move. What would be the easiest way to repair this so I can use stock mirrors and actually have power mirrors. I appreciate the help.

Assuming the plug connecting to the tow mirrors is the stock plug, you should just be able to re-solder the wires together, color matching as you go. If the connector has different wire colors than the wire on the truck side, you'll likely need to do trial and error to find out what wires do what. Even if the harness has the stock wire colors, I'd probably still check to make sure the controls work as the wires are touched together (and the switch is pressed) to make sure they work (before soldering them together).

4 minutes ago, dj_bosse said:

Assuming the plug connecting to the tow mirrors is the stock plug, you should just be able to re-solder the wires together, color matching as you go. If the connector has different wire colors than the wire on the truck side, you'll likely need to do trial and error to find out what wires do what. Even if the harness has the stock wire colors, I'd probably still check to make sure the controls work as the wires are touched together (and the switch is pressed) to make sure they work (before soldering them together).

The only plug left is on the tow mirror. Truck side plug is gone.

Then the easiest way (assuming you can find one) would probably be to find a junkyard truck with the same style mirrors/controls as yours. Just a heads up, I have the same year truck as you and none of the junkyards around me have our truck. Hopefully you have better luck where you are. Cut the truck side connector off the junkyard truck and solder it to the wires coming from your truck. The connector from that truck should fit into the OEM style mirrors.

If you can't find  a truck at the junkyard, you might be able to find the connector end at a parts store (AutoZone, Rockauto, etc.). If you can't you'll have to do trial and error to find out which wires control which function, cut the connector off the mirror side, and solder the wires from the mirror side to the truck side (essentially eliminates the connector). A wiring diagram would be helpful if you have access to one. If you go this route, just FYI you won't be able to remove your door without cutting the wires, since you wouldn't have the quick disconnect feature of having the connectors.

7 minutes ago, dj_bosse said:

Then the easiest way (assuming you can find one) would probably be to find a junkyard truck with the same style mirrors/controls as yours. Just a heads up, I have the same year truck as you and none of the junkyards around me have our truck. Hopefully you have better luck where you are. Cut the truck side connector off the junkyard truck and solder it to the wires coming from your truck. The connector from that truck should fit into the OEM style mirrors.

If you can't find  a truck at the junkyard, you might be able to find the connector end at a parts store (AutoZone, Rockauto, etc.). If you can't you'll have to do trial and error to find out which wires control which function, cut the connector off the mirror side, and solder the wires from the mirror side to the truck side (essentially eliminates the connector). A wiring diagram would be helpful if you have access to one. If you go this route, just FYI you won't be able to remove your door without cutting the wires, since you wouldn't have the quick disconnect feature of having the connectors.

You are correct about no luck in the junk yards. I will try to locate a plug. Is it possible to get a harness from the dealer. I would prefer things to be as they should be. You never know when the door may need to come off.

I personally haven't checked for that specific connector from the dealer. (I actually just wired up my mirrors a few months ago and decided not to find the OEM connector.) Most parts that I've needed have been discontinue from the dealer, but never hurts to call and ask. They may be able to give you a part number to search for though. 

Good luck