2020 Silverado Z71 RST Screen Black out on Selecting Trailering App

I've had my truck for about 2 months and this was the 1st trip I took pulling my 21 ft Boat. The trailering app profile was easy to setup and the trailer lights safety checks are great, when working. I starting noticing yesterday when I hooked the boat up for the trip home that it was not sensed. I made sure the electrical connection was solid but still did not show the trailer connected. After turning truck off and resetting trailer plug several time, I started driving and it just started working. I drove 200 miles with it working and parked for a couple of hours. When I restarted, the trailer was not recognized again. I tried the same unplug and re-plug without success. I drove a couple of miles but still was not recognized. Also whenever selecting the trailering app, the display screen was black/dark. None of my trailer lights were working and I did not want to risk driving in rush hour traffic without trailer lights. I called the GM support (866-790-5600) and they asked me to shut off engine for 5 minutes to see it it would reset. That did not work. I tried again for 10 minutes and it suddenly started working. This is very disappointing. When it works, it's great but when it stops working I am stuck wherever I am. I will try to get into Chevy dealership next week.

May not be the issue with yours, but this truck, and several before it, as well as several trailers all 'live' outside and are not pulled often.  I find the the plugs on the trailers and the truck both seem to develop some corrosion.

I've taken to plugging and unplugging the trailer/truck connection several times whenever hooking up.  

Since developing this strategy I've not had issues with circuits not functioning.

Might be good luck, or might be the plug/unplug action cleaning the contacts enough to prevent issues. 

I've not seen that behavior except when I did not have a good connection at trailer plug. I'd suggest troubleshooting your boat up and downstream wiring. Case in point, I've a 7 round plug that downstream connects to the trailer harness in a 5 flat adapter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 2:12 AM, carlosh said:

I've not seen that behavior except when I did not have a good connection at trailer plug. I'd suggest troubleshooting your boat up and downstream wiring. Case in point, I've a 7 round plug that downstream connects to the trailer harness in a 5 flat adapter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've got the same setup and tried to unplug and replug several times. I did notice when my right rear trailer light stopped working, the 5 pin connecter for that connection needed to be opened up to make better contact. I'll see if I can cable tie or otherwise secure the 5 pin to the round plug.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I have the same problem. Intermittently the trailering app will be blank. I've tried everything but sometimes it just comes back on its own. Obviously, the application is crashing but not sure how to reboot the app. The only frustration I have had with this truck.

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue. Blank screen sometimes. This happens even when I'm not connected to the trailer. I hit the trailer icon and it opens to a blank screen. Other times it works correctly and opens the trailering app, and I get the "not connected to a trailer" message - which is what it should do. Any advice. As stated before, the dealer can't replicate the issue.

• 7 months later...