• 2 weeks later...

What it does is scale your gas pedal position up or down so you either get a quicker or slower throttle response.

In other words, if you have it set in a "sport" mode, you press your gas pedal the 'normal' amount you usually do when the light turns green, instead of getting the 'normal' acceleration, you now get 1.25x the normal expected acceleration because the pedal commander told the ECM to move the throttle farther open than what your foot told the gas pedal.

Conversely, in "eco" mode, the pedal commander moves the throttle less than your 'normal' foot input.

You can do the same thing without a pedal commander by either unleashing the power of your engine by mashing the pedal at the green light, or save fuel and improve mileage by going easy on the acceleration and driving smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:46 PM, greatmizzou said:

Interesting,  what would be the benefit?  I saw the ad 20% fuel savings but that doesn't make sense

It takes more fuel to go 25 to 40 in 2 seconds than 10. F = MA. While the example is exaggerated the principle is solid. By Damping the pedal if forces a guy to slow his rate of acceleration using less fuel. Yes there is a limit to its effectiveness. 

Try this. Watch the MAP while on cruise control. Then add the commander and repeat. Should see less swing in manifold pressure. Fuel is tied to MAP. Sort of like a carburetor's accelerator pump having less influence on fuel economy with you use cruise control back in the day. I don't know if 20% is there but there is something if you can stand the loud pedal acting like the dead pedal :crackup:

Like you I prefer to use my brain instead of the pedals.  

• Like 1