2021 Suburban RST or Z71?

First time here...

I am in the process of ordering a Suburban and cannot decide between RST or Z71. 

Currently, I have a Yukon Denali XL that has served well as the family truckster, but as she is getting long in the tooth (only 40,000 miles) its time for new tech...

I want an escalade, but as a 3rd car, its just too much money. The RST and Z71 are the right price.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA

We looked at both. RST has a little interior difference but after having a few Z71’s in my life, and 2020 Silverado z71 for the last year- it helped make our choice. We love the look of the Z71. It’s got the tow hooks and in my opinion looks better. I like that it looks a little more aggressive so if you want the more aggressive look, the choice is clear. If you like that Denali look, probably RST. 

The Escalade looks awesome. Crazy that they are $100k. Good luck in your decision. 

If you want the air suspension, Z71.

If you want the diesel, RST.

Both trims have the Luxury package, Max Trailer, panoramic roof and rear entertainment available.  Z71 holds the air suspension card over the RST.  

Otherwise it comes down to looks and probably some slight price differences.  If you were looking at them fully loaded, with the panoramic roof, luxury package, rear media and in the Z71's case the off road package, its about $1000 more vs. an RST (72k vs 71k).  $1000 more loaded vs. loaded gets you the air suspension on the Z71 however.  And base prices, the Z71 does start out about $2000 less than an RST.    

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, Recneps said:

We looked at both. RST has a little interior difference but after having a few Z71’s in my life, and 2020 Silverado z71 for the last year- it helped make our choice. We love the look of the Z71. It’s got the tow hooks and in my opinion looks better. I like that it looks a little more aggressive so if you want the more aggressive look, the choice is clear. If you like that Denali look, probably RST. 

The Escalade looks awesome. Crazy that they are $100k. Good luck in your decision. 

Really like the Z71...

22 minutes ago, newdude said:

If you want the air suspension, Z71.

If you want the diesel, RST.

Both trims have the Luxury package, Max Trailer, panoramic roof and rear entertainment available.  Z71 holds the air suspension card over the RST.  

Otherwise it comes down to looks and probably some slight price differences.  If you were looking at them fully loaded, with the panoramic roof, luxury package, rear media and in the Z71's case the off road package, its about $1000 more vs. an RST (72k vs 71k).  $1000 more loaded vs. loaded gets you the air suspension on the Z71 however.  And base prices, the Z71 does start out about $2000 less than an RST.    

Thats about the only "real" differences I could come up with...  I bought the denali last time because it had similar suspension to the escalade. I spend a lot of time driving on the highway and dont want a noticeably rougher ride that would be expected in a more off-road vehicle.

This is helpful, thanks all!! I have until Tuesday to put in the order, so lets see if any one else adds anything.

45 minutes ago, UN-Blank said:

Really like the Z71...

Thats about the only "real" differences I could come up with...  I bought the denali last time because it had similar suspension to the escalade. I spend a lot of time driving on the highway and dont want a noticeably rougher ride that would be expected in a more off-road vehicle.

This is helpful, thanks all!! I have until Tuesday to put in the order, so lets see if any one else adds anything.

I should also clarify a hair the Z71 with the air its Magneride 4 corner air.  So its air springs on Magneride shocks.  It would be the same setup as on a 2021 Denali or High Country.  Looking at the part#s between a Suburban and Escalade with the air/magride, all the same parts.  

I got to take a Tahoe Z71 with the "RFP" Z71 Off Road Package so it had the Magneride/Air setup.  Butter.  Great ride from it.  

I should also clarify a hair the Z71 with the air its Magneride 4 corner air.  So its air springs on Magneride shocks.  It would be the same setup as on a 2021 Denali or High Country.  Looking at the part#s between a Suburban and Escalade with the air/magride, all the same parts.  

I got to take a Tahoe Z71 with the "RFP" Z71 Off Road Package so it had the Magneride/Air setup.  Butter.  Great ride from it.  
I just bought a z71 tahoe with the air / magna ride and yes, it is butter on the highway. Thats exactly how I describe it to everybody I talk to about the ride, butter. Hahaha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nick Lontajo said:

Z71 🙌🏼 Loving mine! 

B37C561C-90B4-4388-A1E7-5C3A39620879.jpeg

Nice rig! did you remove the factory running boards only or is that some other side rail? Also, is it lifted?

Another thing, when I build on. on chevys website, i dont see that the sunroof is available. Does anyone know if there Is an issues with suppliers or is that specific to the models I am looking at?

17 hours ago, UN-Blank said:

Nice rig! did you remove the factory running boards only or is that some other side rail? Also, is it lifted?

Another thing, when I build on. on chevys website, i dont see that the sunroof is available. Does anyone know if there Is an issues with suppliers or is that specific to the models I am looking at?

Its there.  Its on the "Exterior" options page under the Exterior Options page.  Panoramic Sunroof $1500.

froof.thumb.png.967dc042443ceef80c008e38c667292c.png

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1