Replace Power Retractable Assist Steps(running boards)?

Hi.

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I searched for this site with no luck so here goes.

I'm looking at a good deal on a 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali.  Right color exterior.  Right color interior.  All the right options, except it has power retractable assist steps(running boards).  I want fixed assist steps.

I live in Michigan's upper peninsula and I just cant see the retractable steps lasting through all the road salt, sand, slush, snow and ice.  Plus I do a fair amount of time on some pretty bad back roads hunting and fishing.

I started looking for a Denali a couple months ago and have noticed several vehicles (no brand specific) with  power retractable assist steps, that while driving either one or both are in the down position.

Question I'm asking:  Is it worth trying to replace the power retractable assist steps with factory fixed assist steps on this Denali, or should I just keep shopping?

This will be my 5th Suburban/Yukon XL.  I know exactly how they all the past and current have rusted out around the fenders.  Factory fixed assist steps tend to protect from this and also protect the rocker panels.

Thanks in advance,

John

Sounds to me like you have a good justification not what you want.  I think you have two issues to resolve:  how easy is it to disconnect the power steps w/o causing any additional electrical problems?  Second, are you willing to accept the cost of removal and new steps.

My suggestion, if you found a good deal on the one you want (other than the power steps), buy it and address the steps later, maybe before any rust issues, or when they finally fail.

I think I paid about $600 to have damaged fix step replaces.

Good Luck.