Anyone running the Cognito 4” lift with stock wheels?

It’s not very common, but I like the “stuffed” look of the tires tucked in. I want to level the truck but I have also considered installing the Cognito 4” lift kit. Yes, I know the differences and that the lift kit is much better. However when I contacted Cognito and asked if the 4” lift kit will work with my stock 20” wheels, the tech at Cognito replied:

While the kit allows for up to a 37x12.5 Tire on a 9-Inch Wide Wheel with 5.5-Inch Backspacing. We can run stock wheels with stock tires, but with wider/taller tires they would possibly contact the arm, and would require a lot more trimming.”

I know there are some guys with Cognito leveling kits and UCAs running the stock wheels with both 35s and 37s. But can I do the same thing with the 4” lift? The only thing that changes is the new Cognito spindle. I can’t see it affecting anything, but I need to be sure before I start ordering parts. I don’t mind a little rub, but I at least need to make sure that the stock wheels and tires will bolt on and not get stuck hitting the UCAs. 

My wheels are the stock Chevrolet 20” wheels that are black and gray. Specs on them are: Factory 20x8.5 Wheel Offset = +47 mm - Back Space = 6.60" Inches. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by CobraEatr

They won’t rub. I’ve got the 4” performance kit and wanted stock wheels. They said it wouldn’t work. I spent over 6k on aftermarket wheels and tires and didn’t need them. Stocks fit fine with plenty of room. d9891c01e7f1430625511162c2f95704.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, wade_660 said:

They won’t rub. I’ve got the 4” performance kit and wanted stock wheels. They said it wouldn’t work. I spent over 6k on aftermarket wheels and tires and didn’t need them. Stocks fit fine with plenty of room. d9891c01e7f1430625511162c2f95704.jpg

Wow, that’s great news. Thank you. Those look like Ridge Grapplers. What size tires are you running? Your truck looks awesome! Also, are those the stock wheels in your pic?

Edited by CobraEatr

are you running stock UCAs or a set of Cognitos? I believe with stock UCAs there is plenty of clearance. On the Cognitos, the issue is the ball joint pocket ends up being very close to a stock sized tire. 

51 minutes ago, kylant said:

are you running stock UCAs or a set of Cognitos? I believe with stock UCAs there is plenty of clearance. On the Cognitos, the issue is the ball joint pocket ends up being very close to a stock sized tire. 

I am currently running stock UCAs, but my plan was to switch to a set of Cognitos. The guys who install Cognito UCAs with their leveling kits don’t seem to have any issues. Maybe the lift kit with the new spindles somehow interferes with Cognito UCAs. Not sure why else it would rub when the leveling kits Cognito sells (with upgraded UCAs) do just find. 

Wow, that’s great news. Thank you. Those look like Ridge Grapplers. What size tires are you running? Your truck looks awesome! Also, are those the stock wheels in your pic?

They are ridge grapplers in a 37. I’m going to sell them soon and buy a toyo mt. I have a real 4” cognito lift with their UCAs. There is plenty of space with the oem wheels.

27 minutes ago, wade_660 said:

They are ridge grapplers in a 37. I’m going to sell them soon and buy a toyo mt. I have a real 4” cognito lift with their UCAs. There is plenty of space with the oem wheels.

Roger that. Any reason why you are selling the Ridge Grapplers? Just like the look of the Toyo MTs better? 

4 hours ago, wade_660 said:

Yep. That’s it. 35c45e68067f433614f6c2b1fecacada.jpg
This is my current setup. f7cc5fa13b5dc86d9fa7cd96f69c173d.jpg

Very nice! Yea, switching to the Toyo MTs will look pretty d@mn good. Do you by chance have any more pictures of your truck with the lift and stock wheels? Just wondering if the new cognito spindles kicked the tires out even just a touch past the fenders? I’m hoping they don’t increase the track width at all. Thanks for all the info. You have been a ton of help. 

Edited by CobraEatr

@wade_660 - very nice set up for your truck.  In regards to your old vs. new wheel/tire combo - are the new wheels a larger diameter vs. the stock wheels (which I believe were 20")?  Also, are your new tires 35's or did you stay with 37's in the Toyo's?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2021 at 9:19 PM, wade_660 said:

Hey man,

on your original set up with the 37s. What was the width? 11.50, 12.50? I am looking at using Cognito's UCAs for my GMC Sierra and was wanting to run 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (34 x 11.7") wide on my stock 20" wheels. Just want to ensure I wouldn't rub my tire on the UCAs. Im just utilizing their UCAs and not the whole kit, so I wont have that ".5" tire kick out" 

Thanks!!! love the truck with both set ups you did!

20 hours ago, Kdembo03 said:

Hey man,

on your original set up with the 37s. What was the width? 11.50, 12.50? I am looking at using Cognito's UCAs for my GMC Sierra and was wanting to run 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (34 x 11.7") wide on my stock 20" wheels. Just want to ensure I wouldn't rub my tire on the UCAs. Im just utilizing their UCAs and not the whole kit, so I wont have that ".5" tire kick out" 

Thanks!!! love the truck with both set ups you did!

I have Cognito's tubular UCAs. when I had my stock denali 20s, +47 offset, and stock 275/65-20 goodyear tires, the tire was 1/4" away from contacting the upper ball joint pocket. I didn't see how I could have run any wider tire without hitting it. Maybe it is possible? don't know