Torque Converter Shudder on fresh rebuild.

Chris Briley

Question

I have a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado that had transmission issues and eventually went down. The torque converter failed and it sent metal throughout the entire transmission resulting in a full transmission rebuild and a new torque converter. I have 13,000 miles on the rebuild and it has started shuddering again when under a load like coming up and over an incline. I pulled my dipstick and checked the fluid and everything is clean and clear until I run my fingers through the fluid. It's black and you can see little tiny metal shavings in it. I'm a heavy equipment technician at a CAT dealership so I know that's a sign that once again the torque converter is failing.  I got a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the transmission so tomorrow I will be Contacting the shop that rebuilt it and will be asking for another rebuild.  Also I took it to them a couple weeks ago because it felt like it was shaking a little when I would start to accelerate coming from a stop and he said that's just how those transmissions are and that it's the torque clutch converter and that I could get it turned of for gears 1-4. I did that and it helped but now my torque converter is obviously going out again. My question is after it's rebuilt again what can I do to prevent it from happening yet again. I'm on the verge of fixing it and selling it. I really would like to keep the truck but I don't want to have to be constantly rebuilding the transmission.  I tried to get a picture of the fluid on my finger but it didn't show up. 

16272173722996228448425927382144.jpg

16272186273418365188106929882931.jpg

10 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, Chris Briley said:

Clutch front cover and piston?  Can you explain? I don't know a whole lot about transmissions. Thanks. 

I gave you to much information. They are hard parts inside the sealed converter. Those companies use forged or billet parts instead of the stampings the OEM uses. Talk to them. 

58 minutes ago, Chris Briley said:

I asked the shop about an aftermarket torque converter and he's said he put a billet in a truck before and it still burned through it. 

There are allot of "aftermarket" converters. They are not all the same. I gave you the short list.

From what I see on your receipt, you have an electrical problem which is going to burn up every rebuild you throw in there. That needs to be taken care of first and foremost. It seems the shop rebuilt your transmission, but didn't fix the electrical problem.

I was just going to post a link to the place where I got my brand new built-to-the-moon transmission which I FRIGGIN LOVE (PerformaBuilt), but I forgot everything's got the newfangled 6-speed (or more) now, and those guys only do 4 speeds.

Since you're in TN, I'd take Doug's advice and drive the truck to Precision Transmission in Amarillo, TX, and you'll never have another issue (with the transmission anyway) again. The guys there are solid dudes - family run shop that still has morals and values - they won't screw you. I've never met them personally, but I can guarantee that. They will fix ANYTHING that will cause their transmission to fail, BEFORE completely rebuilding it 1000x better than GM ever could build it.

Edited by Jsdirt