I have one, and it is great for watching saturation level and regen status, among other things. I always try to let the truck finish its standard regens, even if I have to drive for a while longer.  I have not needed to run a manual regen.

Edited by Tomato
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the data logging version. 

After many years running stock LLY, LMM, LML and L5P. (LLY's were before DPF, so no regen; LMM's were DPF, but did not use exhaust fluid)

Now running an LM2.

This is the first time I've had an OBDII monitor. (way back when, I did add exhaust temp sensing to the LLY)

I have no intention of ever trying to have it initiate a regen.  

I've always found, and the iDash confirms, that they will resume regen on the next drive, as soon as it gets the exhaust warm enough. 

They will access many many many data items from the truck. 

(and they are capable of adding extra sensors which might be necessary/desirable for modded vehicles)

There are lots of expansion options if desired.

I don't believe they are a need when running a stock truck.

For me they are a great way to satisfy curiosity, and to learn things about the truck. 

I don't think I have changed anything in how I drive/use the truck. 

I do find it interesting to see data beyond what GM chooses to display. 

Seeing the 3.0L do passive regen when working hard is one of those things that was interesting to confirm.  Others have posted about the same thing with 6.6's.  

• Like 1

If you aren't looking to spend a bunch just to satisfy your curiosity, you can get a much cheaper OBD II reader/scanner. My $45 Amazon ordered ANCEL AD410 let's me view DPF levels and regen status, plus a bunch of other data streams the vehicle presents via the OBD II port. It of course has its downsides, like not being very user friendly and doesn't save the screen where you left off, but it gets the job done. You won't be able to initiate a manual regen, but that really isn't something that you'll probably ever need anyways.