How do I get battery power thru the firewall of a 1500 3.0L diesel?

Have been trying to get battery power to a VHF/UHF radio in the cab but have been flummoxed in finding a path thru the firewall.

Found a nipple on the rubber gasket on the passenger side of the engine compartment where a wiring bundle passes thru, but am blocked on getting it thru by something in the dashboard. With the diesel turbo, this location also has limited access for my hands.

Have tried going in from the passenger side compartment under the kick panel, the fuse box and the glove compartment but all are blocked by something. 

I really don't want to drill my own hole, and my next step seems to be removing the battery for better access from the engine bay.

Even the dealer's 'accessory guy' couldn't find a simple route.

Anyone have a sliver bullet?

So go under your truck and take a flash light to drivers side. You are gonna see 2 round plastic plugs in the floor board. Simply pull your carpet back make sure you pick the one closet to the side of the truck and there u go. You are in. 

Drivers side has a large rubber boot/grommet with a nipple on it.  GM designed it for you to cut off the end of the nope and route through that.  Pops through behind the foam surrounding the brake pedal on the high right side.  This is where GM has the wiring for the upfitter switches going through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found this spot on the passenger side right behind the battery. Cut a slit in the nipple and pushed wires through for my light bars I installed. I did have to the inverter from the inside footwell to get my hands up there to grab the wire. You will see what Im talking about when you look up in the footwell. 

20210804_174904.jpg

20210804_174939.jpg