New guy from alaska doing an 6.0 swap

907Ryan

I recently bought a 2005 2500HD. It has the lq4 and 4l80 in it which i have taken out.

The project truck is a 2001 chevy silverado shortbed. I have removed the 5.3 and 4l60E out of it and im starting to put together a game plan for the 6.0.

So far both of the engines are in my garage and i just need to know what else im missing. I know the 01 has a cable throttle and the 05 has a DWB throttle. Should I be taking the throttle system out of the 2005 and incorporating it into the 2001. Is that needed or necessary. Or could i just use the 2001 throttle and a different throttle body on the 6.0

The end goal is going to be a rebuilt 6.0/4l80E supercharged -most likely whipple. Is one option better than the other and what other complications might i run into.

Another question is the harness. I have heard that the 01 harness will work with the 6.0 with a re-tune which its going to need anyways. Should i make the effort of switching over harnesses or just junk the 2005 ecu/harness.

I know I will need the 4l80E cross member and some driveshaft modifications. If anyone has any suggestions there it would be much appreciated. The 2005 2500 was a extended cab long bed and the driveshaft is clearly longer than the one off of the 01 with the 4l60E. Is there a driveshaft i can get that will work in the shortbed/4l80E or will i need to get one custom to fit.

I do have the new harness to switch over from the 4l60E to the 4l80E, i haven't looked into how that goes in but it should be plug and play with the 2001 harness.

Im switching to electric fans and also got a harness for that.

I have the transfer case for both. i would imagine i need to use the one from the 4l80E(2500), Is there any modifications or issues with putting that in the 01

Is there any other major items i will need from the donor truck.

Swap intake manifolds from the 5.3 to the 6.0 to retain your drive by cable. 

4L80e crossmember is sold by speedengineering, they do good work.

Whipple and maggies are a bit different. I can't remember exactly the difference, one is a roots and one is a PD(?) but basically one makes power a bit differently than the other. My uncle has an old Whipple on his truck that he likes.

Junk the ecu and harness. You cannot use them and won't need them.

Just go to a driveshaft shop and tell them what you want. They will cut that one down for you.

Don't forget to use the 6.0 fuel injectors.

Some sensors on the 2005 may not work with the 2001 harness. Those are easily swappable, I believe the oil pressure sensor is one and the alternator may not work as well.

If i do the Whipple though i wont use the intake manifold. So would it just depend on the whipple/maggie. Unfortunately it doesnt look like either of them make on for the 01 cable driven and are all DBW. This means i will probably need to swap out the gas pedal and components. Unless i am missing something? 

luckily i kept the cross member off of the 05 for the 4l80E so im good there. I will have to find a shop up here that does driveshafts and let them make me one.

Good to know about the ECU and harness, though i dont know if the throttle system on the 05 is attached the harness at all. If anyone else knows more about that swap some pointers would be much appreciated.

I did plan on keeping the 6.0 injectors but i have also heard of them being a little light for boosted applications. Is there a recommended upgrade for them.

For the items that dont work on the harness. By swap able do you mean i would have to incorporate them into the 01 harness?

Thhanks for the reply!

I know Whipple requires you to remove intake manifold but it seemed that was your end goal and you were not doing that right now.  To switch to DBW you need gas pedal and a certain ECM and a harness. I guess if you have to switch then keep the ECM and harness off the truck but I would try not to swap them out. Yes the throttle is attached to the harness on the 05 because it is DBW, meaning there is a plug for it, so yes it is on the harness

Cross member from the 05 won't work, the frames are different. You may be able to modify it but at that point you might as well just modify your stock one

If you buy a whipple it should come with injectors, just use those. If they don't then I would find some FIC or Bosch injectors from Texas Speed, maybe 70 lb/hr or 80lb/hr and run those. Again though it didn't seem like you were doing SC right away so that is why I suggested the 6.0 injectors, hell the 6.0 injectors are light for a 6.0.

No by swap able I mean literally swap the sensor out.

Sorry for the confusion. It is end goal but thats what i intend to do from the begining it wont be n/a again :).

Cross member from the 05 won't work, the frames are different. You may be able to modify it but at that point you might as well just modify your stock one - This is good to know. i have speed engineering headers so i will grab their cross member as well.

It seems like i may just need to do the work and swap out the harness. it appears that would solve issues with the intake and the other items like the alt and ops. Thanks again for the quick replys. Its going to help a lot. The thing should be a monster when im done.

I suppose one more question i have. For the 4l80E i want to do a higher stall like the 3000-3600 area. - the truck is getting a tsp stage 3 cam kit. I looked on summits website for the higher stall converter.  When i search by truck it doesnt show any converters. When i search by 4l80E it shows many but with specific applications. Summit Racing SUM-700342 for example at the bottom says (For LS engines only using LS-1/LS-3 car type flexplate. Not for use on 1999-2000 LQ4 applications with +.400 in. long crankshaft. ). Now im pretty sure mine isn't a long crank being after 2000. And it should be a 6 bolt 11" pattern. im not home right now to look at the flex plate but i know there is a space difference. Would this work or would it require a spacer and long bolts to attach. I have been meaning to call a company and ask about it but if someone on here knows. I basically just want a replacement for the converter i have but higher stall. The tranny will get an upgraded cooler and a shift kit.

Ah okay gotcha I completely understand now.

I would call Whipple and ask them, I am 99% positive there is a way to get it to be DBC.

Call CircleD and tell them your application and plans. Do not just order a converter blindly. Talk to them first and let them either spec you out one or show you which one is best off the shelf.