08 Silverado 2500 no start after ignition switch replacement

Msully05

Question

Ok so I figured it was going to be a straight forward and easy thing to replace, I'm not sure where I went wrong. Took dash apart removed cylinder, key detector, then switch, reinstalled. Now I get off on and run but key won't turn to the crank position, it feels like something is keeping it from turning.  I'm pretty sure I have the cylinder and switch clocked correctly. I'm stumped and annoyed, any help would be great! Thanks

4 answers to this question

Ok so I figured it was going to be a straight forward and easy thing to replace, I'm not sure where I went wrong. Took dash apart removed cylinder, key detector, then switch, reinstalled. Now I get off on and run but key won't turn to the crank position, it feels like something is keeping it from turning.  I'm pretty sure I have the cylinder and switch clocked correctly. I'm stumped and annoyed, any help would be great! Thanks

One thing I've learned the hard way over the past 21 years, NOTHING is easy regarding the automotive industry in the 21st century!   

Best bet is to get back in there and closely examine everything. Any old parts you have would be handy to look at. Could even be a defective new part - another common 21st Century theme. I'm waiting for the one in my '07 1500 to fail - I've been using the remote start religiously to kick that can down the road as far as possible.

Ok update time. Finished tearing the steering column apart, took ignition lock housing apart to see why It wasn't letting me turn the key all the way. . . . Long story short I was one tooth off with the gear timing. So yeah that was fun.