Suspension upgrade - for towing/weight

Hi all, I'm currently not a suburban owner (have an Expedition EL) but was looking at the new duramax diesel suburban/yukons. I'd probably look towards an LS or LT model as I want a higher payload and don't need all the extra crap etc.

First of all I want to say I know I really probably need a 3/4 or heavier application that a suburban can provide, however I'm hesitant getting an excursion or older duramax swapped 2500 series suburban. Mostly due to age (I don't want issues etc) among the other reasons such as fuel economy when unladen etc. 

We've a family of 5 but usually travel with at least 2 other passengers (7) plus a dog. Hence the need for a very large vehicle. We are looking to get a light toy hauler - but when I say light, I still mean one with a GVWR limit of lb loaded around 9000lb - maybe a very max of 10k, but likely less - (probably about 6-6500lb dry). We will be over the payload and design limits of the 1500 series suburban.

My Expy is getting high in miles now and I want to get out of it - it is setup for towing with bilstein 5100s and a rear overload coil helper (Sumospring coil spacer) that works wonderfully with added weight plus E rated tires, stronger wheels etc etc. 

I noticed that the new Suburbans and Yukons have a similar suspension setup as the ford, with rear coil and struts, (rather than coil and independent shocks) which I'm not a huge fan of this new setup as I can't get heavier springs/shocks independently. By the way, I'm not looking for comments on being over limit as I'm fully aware of this already, or "you should get a 3/4 ton" lol - I already know this - as we wont' be towing more than 1000 miles/yr (at very most) the rest is all unladen, and I don't have room for a truck and I need a 7+passenger. I'm more looking for some comments around if any companies make any suspension upgrades to help support additional weight, and also some comments from others that have a newer suburban that have tried towing a bit heavier, and what it is that you used?

Any comments on this would be amazing, Thanks!

Edited by Robert Hein

The older 900 Duraburbs are quite reliable even at this age.  They of course have a smaller cabin but can haul and tow everything you ask of them.  A standard 2500 Suburban would be maxed out numbers wise with what you are asking of it but they can handle it, are over built for it too.

I don't think those IRSs are going to be up to the task.  Ever seen the payload and towing numbers of the Dodge pickups with rear coil springs?  The Silverado and Sierra eats its lunch, especially the NHT package.

We're in a similar situation, we'll be taking two vehicles or getting a Class A and tow one instead!

By the way, I'm not looking for comments on being over limit as I'm fully aware of this already, or "you should get a 3/4 ton" lol - I already know this

Be prepared as its gonna happen.

Load boosters aren't intended to carry extra weight beyond the truck's limits.  All they do is give added support for weight that is up to the limit of what the truck can handle.  

I'd be looking for a trailer at no more than 8000lbs GVWR.  Max tow rating for max trailer on a Suburban Duramax is 8100lbs 2wd, 7800lbs 4wd.  Max payload diesel is 1625lbs 2wd, 1539lbs 4wd.  

The Tahoe has 100lbs more payload, still seats 7-9 people and can tow 8000lbs 4wd and 8200lbs 2wd. 

Ideally, take 2 cars (make the other people drive).  Get a 1500 max trailer Duramax when that comes out next year.  1000mi/year overloaded is a lot of stress on any truck.  The safety of you and 6 others isn't worth running overweight if something were to happen.  

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Be prepared as its gonna happen.

Load boosters aren't intended to carry extra weight beyond the truck's limits.  All they do is give added support for weight that is up to the limit of what the truck can handle.  

I'd be looking for a trailer at no more than 8000lbs GVWR.  Max tow rating for max trailer on a Suburban Duramax is 8100lbs 2wd, 7800lbs 4wd.  Max payload diesel is 1625lbs 2wd, 1539lbs 4wd.  

The Tahoe has 100lbs more payload, still seats 7-9 people and can tow 8000lbs 4wd and 8200lbs 2wd. 

Ideally, take 2 cars (make the other people drive).  Get a 1500 max trailer Duramax when that comes out next year.  1000mi/year overloaded is a lot of stress on any truck.  The safety of you and 6 others isn't worth running overweight if something were to happen.  

What do you mean by "get a 1500 max trailer duramax when that comes out"? Is that a different model? Is it going to be a heavier built model?

Air suspension is already a factory option. Magneride shocks have always performed well except for replacement cost if they fail. I think the Anderson hitch would be a wise investment for your set up. Also, most toy haulers will be extra tongue heavy with out an accompanying toy to balance it out albeit this only adds more overall weight. Another thing to look at is the amount of rear overhang on the Tahoe vs. Suburban. The shorter rear overhang on the Tahoe will have better driving dynamics than the Suburban by brining the tongue weigh of the trailer closer to the rear axle where it will have less leverage over the truck. Of course, include a trailer brake controller. Auxiliary transmission cooler too.

...and you're a menace to society, you'll kill your self and all the rest of us too - sarcasm...

48 minutes ago, Robert Hein said:

What do you mean by "get a 1500 max trailer duramax when that comes out"? Is that a different model? Is it going to be a heavier built model?

2022 refresh.  They are doing a Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax and Max Trailer package.  13,000lbs.  

On 12/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, asilverblazer said:

Air suspension is already a factory option. Magneride shocks have always performed well except for replacement cost if they fail. I think the Anderson hitch would be a wise investment for your set up. Also, most toy haulers will be extra tongue heavy with out an accompanying toy to balance it out albeit this only adds more overall weight. Another thing to look at is the amount of rear overhang on the Tahoe vs. Suburban. The shorter rear overhang on the Tahoe will have better driving dynamics than the Suburban by brining the tongue weigh of the trailer closer to the rear axle where it will have less leverage over the truck. Of course, include a trailer brake controller. Auxiliary transmission cooler too.

...and you're a menace to society, you'll kill your self and all the rest of us too - sarcasm...

Thanks for the input.

Yeah I had air suspension in my old sequoia. It was nice in some ways, but just too soft for my liking. 

E rated tires also make a huge safety/handling difference, next down from that would likely be shocks etc. For most manufacturers the payload sticker is on the tire placard.

I only have room for one vehicle of this type, so getting a 3/4 ton for no more than than 1% of my driving isn't feasible for us (at least right now). 

Re the EQ hitch - I already have an andersen hitch. In general they're great yes - but they have some weaknesses too (I've used them on several trailers in the past). Either way - proper load levelling is going to be a priority.

I need the extra rear load room of the suburban (Tahoe won't work), and with the added wheelbase of the sub I think this likely more than makes up for that in terms of stability from what I'm guessing. A quality EQ hitch will really help.

My question though was a bit more to do with levelling the potential load, and if anyone knows any manufacturers of any stiffer shocks and potential overload coil spacer available already for these? The coil spacer makes a dramatic different in my expedition. I was looking for something like that along with stiffer shocks (Bilstein etc)? I'm guessing it won't be much longer before these will become available, but I haven't found any yet.

Edited by Robert Hein