Hey, I have a GMC Sierra 1500 2009 Z71, I have a problem with the 4 wheel drive, it can get the error message but there was nothing to notice. I always drive in AUTO, then I went shopping again. After shopping, I started the GMC and it jumped forward when igniting in P. Then I switched to brR and it didn't take the gas and the brake pedal was stiff. Once again identified and restarted, it drove again without a problem. A few days later, the message is permanent and when driving it feels strange when starting and cornering and you can hear the divs working. at a standstill on D it doesn't roll off either, you have to accelerate it feels like pushing against the brake. if everything rolls ok, if it is about to come to a standstill and should actually be rolling, it will stop without braking. I am from Germany, it is very difficult to find suitable contacts here. The GMC is an heirloom from my dad from Texas and is very important to me.

This is something you'll have to take to a shop if you can't do much of the work yourself.

The 4AUTO feature really should only be used when you think it will need to go into 4WD on the fly. If you are driving on dry pavement almost all the time it should stay in 2WD to prevent wear on the front differential and the transfer case.

I suppose you could jack up the vehicle and make sure the front wheels spin freely and then do the same for the rear axle while the transmission is in neutral. It could be something binding up in if they don't, like a transfer case problem but it's hard to say without looking at it.

If you are driving on dry pavement almost all the time it should stay in 2WD to prevent wear on the front differential and the transfer case.

Yes

Use 4x4 when needed.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Something about strange behavior and something about the 4x4? If the vehicle is in 4x4 mode on dry pavement, it can make it act really weird. It can be difficult to start moving forward if you are turning at the same time, and I guess you could possibly even store up some "energy" in the axles that might cause slight lurching even when the vehicle is at a stop. What ever the problem is, I would suggest that you 100% confirm that you are in 2 wheel drive mode, and see how it drives. Like CamGTP said, you may have to take it to a shop.