Rough shift from 1st to 2nd

2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 103,000K.  Transmission Heat Sensor seems to be working fine.  Rough, delayed, hesitation, clunk with shift from 1st to 2nd.  Doesn’t happen all the time, but enough to know there is something going on.  Any suggestions/recommends welcomed.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:05 AM, Russ Swift said:

There is a new class action in regards to the 8 speeds, maybe this time it'll get somewhere.

Funny thing, GM keeps using something along this line to attempt to get these problems overlooked / thrown out in court: "GM warranty claims are for manufacturing defect and not design flaws".

If that statement doesn't speak volumes...

• Like 1

Does it have the new Mobil 1 fluid in it yet?

GM wants anyone with an 8 speed to swap to the new fluid. Would probably be a good idea to reset the all the adaptive learning as well with the new fluid.

If that wouldn't fix it then it's an internal issue with the transmission and or torque converter.

• Like 1

Its sop.   A friend is a GM tech and when I had my 2017 I recall him asking me if mine had the hard 1-2 shift and it did just as he op mentioned.  He told me, yeah, we get a lot of complaints on that but there is nothing that will fix it, just the way it is.

re:

Numerous class-action suits have been filed against GM over its 8L45E and 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmissions in recent years. The automaker sought to have one of these suits thrown out last August, claiming the transmission problems are related to a design defect and not a manufacturing defect. GM’s vehicle warranties only cover manufacturing defects with parts and components and not design defects. Most of these suits claim all vehicles with these eight-speed transmissions are defective, which would imply a design defect and not a manufacturing defect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elcamino said:

Its sop.   A friend is a GM tech and when I had my 2017 I recall him asking me if mine had the hard 1-2 shift and it did just as he op mentioned.  He told me, yeah, we get a lot of complaints on that but there is nothing that will fix it, just the way it is.

re:

Thanks for finding one of the articles I was referencing to in regards to not being a mfg defect but rather design defect. Crazy.