2019 Tahoe reverse lights snd backup camera issue

I have a 19 tahoe with the 6.2L with 23K miles on it. Taking a road trip with my family and suddenly the media screen began displaying the traffic behind my as I was cruising down the highway. The radio still functioned via the steering wheel controls but the screen was just a display of the backup camera. When the vehicle was shut off the display returned to normal. As soon as I started my tahoe the display would again show the backup camera view. I also found that my reverse lights were on whenever I started the tahoe. We'll approximately 800 miles later on my family road trip the display began blinking and I cheered as my screen returned to the media screen it was supposed to. A moment later my 7 year old daughter yells daddy there is smoke! From my rear view mirror I could see smoke coming from the rear hatch. I pulled over evacuated my family and opened the rear hatch. There was a bit more of smoke that came from the rear hatch door. I waited several mins and reloaded my family with no other problems 400 miles later.  Now I have no reverse lights and no backup camera but my media screen works fine. I'm in FL enjoying vacation with my family 2/19/22. I depart back to Buffalo NY in about a week. I have a warrantee from my dealer where I bought my tahoe. Any ideas what could have caused this? Thanks fellas

• Sad 1

Just a guess, but check the wiring underneath to the camera and bumper sensors.  I’ve read where these wires sometimes get too close to exhaust pipe, melt, and cause problems.  Can you confirm source of smoke, from rear hatch door or from under the vehicle? Good Luck. 

On 2/19/2022 at 4:20 AM, TommyChevy74 said:

I have a 19 tahoe with the 6.2L with 23K miles on it. Taking a road trip with my family and suddenly the media screen began displaying the traffic behind my as I was cruising down the highway. The radio still functioned via the steering wheel controls but the screen was just a display of the backup camera. When the vehicle was shut off the display returned to normal. As soon as I started my tahoe the display would again show the backup camera view. I also found that my reverse lights were on whenever I started the tahoe. We'll approximately 800 miles later on my family road trip the display began blinking and I cheered as my screen returned to the media screen it was supposed to. A moment later my 7 year old daughter yells daddy there is smoke! From my rear view mirror I could see smoke coming from the rear hatch. I pulled over evacuated my family and opened the rear hatch. There was a bit more of smoke that came from the rear hatch door. I waited several mins and reloaded my family with no other problems 400 miles later.  Now I have no reverse lights and no backup camera but my media screen works fine. I'm in FL enjoying vacation with my family 2/19/22. I depart back to Buffalo NY in about a week. I have a warrantee from my dealer where I bought my tahoe. Any ideas what could have caused this? Thanks fellas

Welcome to the site.

With year and miles, you have a warranty with any Chevy lot you choose.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 9:24 PM, Jon_G said:

Did you happen to figure out what caused the issue? My 2018 did the exact same thing and we can't get into the service dept for another month. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Jon_G.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Jon_G/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 year later...