oil filter for synthetic oils

1 hour ago, kingsfisherman said:

Hey all,

going to change the oil and and will be using synthetic for the first time, I seen a note on an oil filter that said "best for synthetic oils"

are there oil filters that work better with synthetic oil than mineral oils?

Better is a funny word.

Actually a synthetic filter works BEST for any MOTOR oil.

MOST Synthetic medias filter finer particles with lower pressure drops for longer periods of time and it doesn't really matter what oil it in it.  I say MOST because some LONG LIFE synthetic filters sacrifice filter efficiency for longevity. 

ISO 4548-12 Look for that on the box and then carefully note to reference point often disguised by an * to a foot note in the corner somewhere in really fine print when they are "off script". 

The ISO 4548-12 report reference is suppose to be 20 micron but some filters report at 30 micron on their long life versions to make them look more impressive than they are. 

2 hours ago, kingsfisherman said:

Hey all,

going to change the oil and and will be using synthetic for the first time, I seen a note on an oil filter that said "best for synthetic oils"

are there oil filters that work better with synthetic oil than mineral oils?

You will want to check with your vehicle's manufacturer to make sure, but typically any automotive filters that are made for modern vehicles can be used with any type of oil. Every major motor oil manufacturer says you do not need a special or different oil filter when using synthetic oil.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Those "synthetic oil" filters are typically a glass fiber and not cellulose.  They can trap and hold more dirt, which is good if you do an extended oil change interval.

Otherwise, for a normal interval, any good filter will perform fine.

2 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Those "synthetic oil" filters are typically a glass fiber and not cellulose.  They can trap and hold more dirt, which is good if you do an extended oil change interval.

Otherwise, for a normal interval, any good filter will perform fine.

thank you sdeeter for your reply, by extended interval do you mean more than 5k miles?

On 3/20/2022 at 11:53 AM, kingsfisherman said:

thank you sdeeter for your reply, by extended interval do you mean more than 5k miles?

Yeah, when I was doing extended OCIs in my Cummins (some to 45k miles with bypass filters), I ran Wix XPs and Fleetguard synthetic media. 

For standard OCI, a standard cellulose filter is fine...it's not the life of the filter, it's the capacity of that filter to trap/hold dirt.