2019 Suburban has plastic wheel covers, not aluminum polished wheels

I just bought a 2019 Suburban that I can still return.  Washing it for the first time I realized it has plastic wheel covers and not aluminum polished wheels.   

image.png.f051bf6d59a67c5ef964b87237a110f0.png

image.png.b2e82c4b80755017ba40b0bd9c131ece.png

They look like the real thing, but they are not.

Do I return it because of this?  I can get rims for $1200 so I'm not sure this is worth returning the truck, but I just have to wonder why the original wheels were removed.  

image.png

Edited by Sigma BF2

Those are factory rims. They have been using the plastic cladding for years, like all the way back to 2007 on these trucks.

You'd need to see the original window sticker or decode the RPO codes to see what was actually equipped on that truck off the assembly line. My guess is that those are factory rim. It just adds some bling to a LT model.

• Like 1

I've been looking for a replacement part, all I see are aluminum rims, no wheel covers like this.  They are not listed like this on the 2019 brochures, they all say 18-inch polished aluminum wheels.  I look up GM parts and only get wheels, no wheel covers like these.....  

Take a wheel off and get the part number off the back of the rim, that should tell you what GM number to look for. There is a guy on here that works for a dealership, maybe he'll see this thread.

Edited by CamGTP

On 4/13/2022 at 9:50 PM, Sigma BF2 said:

I just bought a 2019 Suburban that I can still return.  Washing it for the first time I realized it has plastic wheel covers and not aluminum polished wheels.   

image.png.f051bf6d59a67c5ef964b87237a110f0.png

image.png.b2e82c4b80755017ba40b0bd9c131ece.png

They look like the real thing, but they are not.

Do I return it because of this?  I can get rims for $1200 so I'm not sure this is worth returning the truck, but I just have to wonder why the original wheels were removed.  

image.png

Those are aftermarket chrome skins over the factory wheel.

This is what is underneath those skins:

OEM 14 to 18 Silverado Tahoe GM 18in Wheel Alloy Rim 20937964 PZM AAJF for  sale online | eBay

The dealer you got it from or the previous owner placed those skins on there.  They are clearcoated machined/polished faces with silver painted pockets and sides of the spokes.  

Here is a link to the chrome skins:  '14-19 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 18" 10 Spoke Chrome Wheel Skins | IMP-377XN (suburbanwheelcover.com)

And here is what they look like:

Image 21 - 2014-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 18" Chrome Wheel Skins # IMP-377XN NEW SET/4

Edited by newdude

To remove the skins, you will have to pop out the Chevy center cap from the skin.  Underneath you should find a wing nut.  Turn it counterclockwise and it should loosen the skin from the wheel.

Some dealers install these for one of two reasons.  Reason 1 being the wheels are showing minor or moderate corrosion.  Reason 2 would be to "dress up" a vehicle.  More commonly used are the black skins to "black out" wheels. 

Edited by newdude

14 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Well thank goodness they stopped gluing those to the wheels like the GMT-900 trucks were.

GM stopped the cladding a while back with one exception.  K2XX for 2017-2019 on the Silverado Custom trim level, those had a 5 spoke chrome clad wheel.