USFL

Grumpy Bear

I'm impressed with the first game of the USFL. Not an easy feat. I noted during the game a note in ribbon at the bottom of the screen that the game was the #1 trending topic on social media. Interesting I thought.聽馃

Quality players and coaching. Camera work was amazing. That drone and the helmet cams. Off the hook. In the huddle and in the coaches head....what a concept! Officials, IMHO rocked this first game and play review when unnoticed by the audience. As it should be. Love the defensive pass interference penalty modification from a spot foul to 15 yards except is cases of flagrant violation. Prevents the offence from being rewarded from 'forcing defensive errors' and the defense from drawing fouls based on 'acting' ability.聽 Also like the overtime rules that give equal opportunity and cancel 'luck' of the flip. Six plays and your done, barring fouls. I also like the 10 game format. Those boys will get to play longer and stay healthier.聽

Some people put some REAL thought into this. Both teams played clean, hard and skillfully. I like this allot.聽

Jeff Fisher up today in Michigan.聽

Southern sweep in the books. Who'd a thought. Right?聽

Funny thing going on here. People will drop a $70K truck they bought last week and go totally upside down when a 'refresh' is released. But let an upstart league appear and they hang on like it's the last Oreo in the sleeve.

I will not be able to watch every game as I don't have and won't pay for all the channels to watch them but when I can I think after week 1 I'll give Birmingham a long look. Even given聽聽Alex McGough's injury. 馃槈

I thought the quality of play was excellent. 聽I鈥檒l be a fan every week watching as many games as I can. 聽Once word gets around, you will hopefully see more and more fans in the seats. 聽Easter weekend was a tough time to begin a start up leagues first game and expect a big fan turnout. 聽Hope to see that change. 聽

• Like 1

The play is below most upper college programs to be honest, kind of expected with how this was thrown together and most of these guys were just pulled off the street. They also pay these guys next to nothing, under 50k and with bonuses like 500 bucks per win. A far cry from the NFL league minimum of 750k.

They have a great TV deal though, amazed they received this much support considering what has happened with previous leagues. The tech additions and the fact they gave more then 1 single 4k broadcast per week, which is all the trillion dollar NFL has given us fans was a nice change! One thing that will need to improve is attendance, local high school games draw better , i know it was easter weakened but cripes they need to have more then 100 fans in the stands to survive, hell give the damn tickets away to make it look decent on tv. hell the players and staff outnumbered the fans in the stands.

2 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

The play is below most upper college programs to be honest, kind of expected with how this was thrown together and most of these guys were

Then look a little deeper into those rosters. Some of these guys played Pro and some in more than one league. There are only so many slots open in the NFL with thousands of great players not making that final cut. Click on any underlined link below for the NFL/CFL history for that player.聽

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/usfl-2022-rosters-heres-a-look-at-every-player-for-all-eight-teams-in-the-usfl/

Coaching ranges, Jeff Fishers 23 years, Titans, Oilers, Rams,聽 to top division college coaches and many CFL/NFL personnel.

Look into the history of the AFL then pause and give that a thought....https://www.britannica.com/topic/American-Football-League-American-football-organization

Sure, not NFL, yet,聽 but certainly better than college ball. Give it a few years for these guys to gel.聽

22 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

these guys were just pulled off the street.

You mean like Kurt Warner? OR Warren Moon OR Wes Walker OR......Drew Pearson OR Larry Little OR Nate Newton OR

https://www.nfl.com/photos/top-30-undrafted-players-in-nfl-history-0ap3000000663921

C'mon man...give it a chance to breath before you shovel dirt over it.....馃ゴ

You've all watched old film of NFL games right? I don't mean from the leather head era either. 60's is old enough to make any mid pack college team today the favorite over 60's pretty much anybody. (IMHO)

The USFL in it's current incarnation is newer than new. It's a 90 day wonder that is going somewhere special if people will take their foot off the necks of those whose game they could never play.聽

IF we are going to rate football by attendance then the NFL needs to wrap it up and go home. College RULES that roost.聽

Forget 'per game' (venue size limited) and look at season total attendance. NCAA Divsion 1 MORE THAN double that of the NFL.聽

https://winthropintelligence.com/2012/12/31/football-attendance-comparing-the-nfl-and-ncaa/

2 of a 10 week season in the books and the NO Breakers have already set the tone. The Stallions seem to have an offence but defense is not a strong IMHO. Well these two are up next and I see NO is favored by 3.5. I guess we will see. Saturday night at 7 PM CT on FOX. Seems a small spread considering.....聽

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, OnTheReel said:

I haven鈥檛 been watching many of these games but last night鈥檚 was really good. And how about that OT rule?聽

Several rules in this league I like. 馃槈聽 My favorite is the non flagrant defensive pass interference rule of 15 yards instead of a spot foul. Holds offensive 'cheap shot' intentionally drawing the foul plays in check. NFL, are you listening?聽

• 3 weeks later...

BHAM makes the cut but not alone and not perfect. I see flaws in the armor. :)聽Any of the top four is a possible CHAMP!聽

Nice first season. I'm really looking forward to next season to see how Michigan and Tampa progress with Pro coaching vs the college and second string coaches.聽聽