Boost Auto wireless charging for 2022 Sierra 1500 refresh?

I am looking to add wireless charging to my 2022 Elevation with the center jump seat. Boost Auto has not yet verified that their kit for the 2019-2022 Sierra will fit. Has anyone looked at whether wiring harness is the same as the older models?

Not sure for 2022, but it does work for my 2020 elevation. I'm using the Boost Auto Parts one as well. Works solid. If you have the refresh of the 5th gen it might be too new to have tested. I'd give them a call or email and ask!

The 2022 refresh trucks do NOT have a 12vDC power outlet in them (at all).

With that being said, It will work, you will just have to find a keyed on power source in the fuse box and add an add-a-circuit fuse to it. Then run the power wire to the charger and find a ground. The console lid is the exact same in the 2022 refresh.

I ordered the version for the Sierra LTD, knowing that it won’t be plug n play.

This will be the first time I’ve done something like this - any tips on which fuse to use and/or where to find a good ground point?

The owners manual says F26 on the left side fuse box is “USB Ports/Special Equipment option Retained Accessory Power.” Would that be the appropriate fuse to use for the add-a-circuit?

Thanks!

(edit to change F27 to F26)

Edited by haeffb

5 minutes ago, haeffb said:

I ordered the version for the Sierra LTD, knowing that it won’t be plug n play.

This will be the first time I’ve done something like this - any tips on which fuse to use and/or where to find a good ground point?

The owners manual says F27 on the left side fuse box is “USB Ports/Special Equipment option Retained Accessory Power.” Would that be the appropriate fuse to use for the add-a-circuit?

Thanks!

If you have the 2022 Sierra LTD, then it will be plug and play. The interior on the LTD's are just like the 2019-2021.

No, I have the 2022 refresh Sierra, but Boost Auto doesn’t (yet?) have a design for the refresh. I decided to order the LTD version of the wireless charger and find a different power source in the refresh vehicle. 

9 hours ago, haeffb said:

No, I have the 2022 refresh Sierra, but Boost Auto doesn’t (yet?) have a design for the refresh. I decided to order the LTD version of the wireless charger and find a different power source in the refresh vehicle. 

Ah! Do what I did with the 12vDC power plug that I needed. I got a micro add-a circuit fuse and used the rear slider fuse on the driver side under the steering column for the add-a-circuit. That way you don't splice into any of the trucks wiring.

• 3 weeks later...

Worked on installing this today. I went with a fuse tap on F26 in the fuse box on the left side of the dash. Grounded to one of the ground points on the left side of the dash and ran the wiring under the door sill and passenger seat to the center console. 

Wireless charging works when the truck is running or on accessory power.

7152BB8C-1CB7-4A39-9BD4-D52EEF1C3358.thumb.jpeg.83cdf38956922d2a262e1833faf1d0a3.jpeg

• Like 1

Description:

Remove the fuse panel cover on the right (passenger) side of the dash. It’s on the end of the panel between the dash and the door and held on by clips - pull straight out. Remove fuse F26 and insert into the bottom slot in the fuse tap. Add a micro3 fuse to the upper slot - I used the spare 5amp fuse from the fuse cover, but I might go back and swap for a 3amp fuse someday since that’s what came with the charger. 

Remove the front passenger door sill and kick plate - all one piece. First pull the sill straight up, then pull the kick plate straight back toward the back of the truck. Mine was stubborn and actually pulled one of the clips off the trim piece. I was able to re-use the metal clip.

This will expose the ground points behind the kick plate. One is used, the other is not. I connected the ground wire to the unused lug with a 1/4” ring terminal with the 9mm (or 10mm?) socket.

Under the door sill is another cover over the wiring harness, attached with 7mm bolts. Remove the cover. (Note: it appears this is a different design than I’ve seen in videos for the 2019-2022 limited trucks, where the cover was held by clips rather than bolts. This design appears better/easier to remove.)

Route the wiring along the existing wire harness back to the seat. The carpet under the seat can be lifted at the front/back seam and the wiring routed underneath the seat, between the seats, then under the center jump seat. 

I have a small 2” or so section of wiring exposed between the passenger seat rail and the center jump seat. It might be possible to run a coat hanger wire or fish tape under the carpet from the inside of the jump seat to under the passenger seat, but I didn’t want to spend the effort to find out.

From that point, it’s just a matter of cutting the Boost Auto wiring harness, connecting the new wiring, and following the instructions for install of the charger. I removed the Boost Auto fuse since the circuit was already fused at the tap.

Parts list:

Boost Auto Wireless Charger 2019-2022 Silverado/Sierra

https://boostautoparts.com/products/2019-newer-gm-charging?rq=th_gmc~yr_2022~mk_sierra-1500-ltd&variant=42070253600927

Micro3 Fuse Tap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7HLQZ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16-gauge wire (red & black)

1/4” ring terminal

butt splice connectors (3)

solder

heat shrink tubing

electrical tape

zip ties

Tools:

T10, T15, T20 torx bits

1/2” drill bit (3/8” recommended by Boost Auto is too small)

Soldering iron

Wire crimper/cutter/stripper

Heat gun

7mm and 9 (or maybe 10 - can’t remember) mm sockets

trim removal tools

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8GHB7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

I added the wireless charger to my 2019 Custom work truck today, following the same wiring scheme.

The “non-storage” console is different enough that Boost Auto’s directions don’t work, but I was able to drill a 7/16” hole at the back of the tray, at the intersection of the flat part and the angle, to feed the wiring harness through.  I left the Boost connector and got rid of the rest of the harness.

The console is held in place by four torx screws - two under the cup holder insert and two under the phone tray insert. Both inserts just pop out. After the screws are gone, the plastic portion pulls off, then the cushioned portion of the console is just held by clips which are easily removed. The inside of the console is mostly dead space.

I drilled the hole for the wires/connector through both the plastic and padded parts of the console at the same time, then spliced wiring from the fuse box and ground stud to the other half of the connector. Left plenty of wiring inside the console so that it could be lifted off then disconnected in the future. Attached the wire connector, reinstalled the console (carefully feeding the wiring down through the hole to seat the charger), used the self-tapping screws to attach the charger to the tray and installed the rubber cover. 

I also added the CarLinkit 3.0 mini wireless CarPlay dongle. 

Now the Custom has wireless charging and CarPlay!

• Like 1