Parking Brake Premature wearout

At 25K miles the emergency brakes required replacement.  There  was an actuator failure on one side and the brake pads were worn out to the point where the dealership could not get the actuator to reset.  Therefore the pads for the emergency brakes needed replacement.  Has anyone had the emergency brake pads replaced at 25K miles ?   Tried dealing with GM and they will not work with me on this stating the brakes are only covered for 7500 miles and are a wear out item.  I have never had emergency brakes fail in 25k mile on a vehicle before.  Has anyone experienced this as GM will not work with me on the cost to replace the brakes at $1400.

Parking brake shoes are like $60 or $70 bucks for OEM.  How are they coming up with $1400 to replace them?  Even if they are throwing an actuator at it, the actauator is around $250?  I would question the dealer and their quote.

Sounds to me like the actuator failed, causing the brake to drag and hence, wearing out the pad.  Technically, those pads shouldnt really "wear out" as they are merely holding the vehicle and not stopping it from motion.  If the failed actuator is covered under warranty, i would push the issue of the failed part wearing out the pad.

• Like 1

Have them order 84582652 and 84582651.  These are the entire assembled parking brake with actuator.  Just the actuator is $482.92 ITSELF.  These brake assemblies are $308.77 ea.  

You are still looking at probably 3hrs per side of labor as they will have to pull the hubs to do this.  

Actually, this is probably what they quoted you.  So yea, its right.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, newdude said:

Have them order 84582652 and 84582651.  These are the entire assembled parking brake with actuator.  Just the actuator is $482.92 ITSELF.  These brake assemblies are $308.77 ea.  

You are still looking at probably 3hrs per side of labor as they will have to pull the hubs to do this.  

Actually, this is probably what they quoted you.  So yea, its right.  

That’s Spendy. I would just go with out parking brakes. I’ve yet to use mine but I live in the flat Midwest. 

9 hours ago, Pryme said:

That’s Spendy. I would just go with out parking brakes. I’ve yet to use mine but I live in the flat Midwest. 

States that have vehicle inspections (NY for example) you need them to pass inspection.  

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1