2002 Silverado 1500 LS fuel gauge repair?

I'm wondering if 2002 turns out to have been the last year Chevy DIDN'T have replaceable stepper motors for the instrument cluster gauges? My fuel gauge works but incorrectly. We have been using the trip odometer for over a year now and I am finally to the point where I want to have an accurate fuel gauge again. Too much selling our old home, renting while finding another house to buy, not having the time, space, or money to do anything about the fuel gauge.

Is it repairable or replaceable OR do I have to buy a whole new or refurbished instrument cluster?

I would greatly appreciate any helpful information. The gauge works but usually stops going down after the first few gallons of a full tank are burned. The pump works obviously or i couldn't have driven the. truck the last year but I don't know if maybe it's a common problem of the float hanging up on gunk in the tank or gunk on the pumpassembly, some similar problem, in which case it's just better to replace the pump assembly.

I just had to replace the pump in our 2003 Cavalier (I replaced fuel filter and relay but when it turned out to be the pump, I paid my neighbor/mechanic to do it and I helped when needed) and my arthritis is killing me so I would rather do something sitting down in the cab than laying on concrete to work underneath or teach myself how to jack up one side of the bed to more easily get at the pump unless someone tells me the symptoms point to the float or some other issue in the tank.

Thanks for any help.

Sending units are problematic in these trucks more so than the gauges. Much easier to unbolt the bed and tilt it than drop the tank to replace the fuel module. Use quality replacement so you don't have to do the job twice

You can try this. Double dose the tank with Techron fuel system cleaner. 2 20oz bottles to full tank. See if it starts to work better. Not always a fix, but it used to work. Cleans up the fuel sender. It's worked for me in the past on the pre ethanol vehicles. Has worked for others too. More than likely though sender is just worn out

Edited by txab