Instrument Cluster

New to forum and I'm sure this question has been asked but...Just bought a 2015 Denali HD w/37k miles. 5 days in and my instrument cluster went out. Both dials and digital display. It seems the radio is effected also as it does not respond to touch or pre-programmed stations only dial works to change stations and screen shows Sirius home screen only. Additionally temp shows as Celsius. I replaced both 60amp fuses for instrument cluster twice and within a day or 2 panel is out again. Any suggestion? TY 

4 hours ago, Doug...RI said:

New to forum and I'm sure this question has been asked but...Just bought a 2015 Denali HD w/37k miles. 5 days in and my instrument cluster went out. Both dials and digital display. It seems the radio is effected also as it does not respond to touch or pre-programmed stations only dial works to change stations and screen shows Sirius home screen only. Additionally temp shows as Celsius. I replaced both 60amp fuses for instrument cluster twice and within a day or 2 panel is out again. Any suggestion? TY 

What fuses were you actually replacing?  Because the IPC only has two 10 amp fuses for it.  No 60 amp fuses.  

Anywho.  IPC uses ground G218 and there is a bulletin for this ground coming loose.  It can also affect radio display operation.  This ground is under the driver's side of the dash cowl pad that is up against the windshield.  Its the pad with the two speaker grilles in it.  The ground is just ahead of the speaker, between the speaker and the windshield.  

g218.thumb.png.5119ed6d1e28045cc2e6f8690a1e8cf1.png

I replaced the #4 and #8 (in picture) J-Case fuses for instrument panel that were there when I bought vehicle. Both were 60amp. Should I replace with 10amp, or is that what is called for? Can't find that info anywhere other than this thread.

I will check out the ground issue today...Thanks for the reply newdude!

GMC-Sierra-mk4-2014-2018.._en1_18.jpg

On 12/30/2022 at 8:37 AM, Doug...RI said:

I replaced the #4 and #8 (in picture) J-Case fuses for instrument panel that were there when I bought vehicle. Both were 60amp. Should I replace with 10amp, or is that what is called for? Can't find that info anywhere other than this thread.

I will check out the ground issue today...Thanks for the reply newdude!

GMC-Sierra-mk4-2014-2018.._en1_18.jpg

4 and 8 in the underhood fuse block aren't for the dash cluster.  Those are the power fuses for the instrument panel bussed electrical center, which is specifically the instrument panel fuse block.  

Did they actually blow?  Or did you just replace them thinking they could be the cause?  If they were blown, you'd lose everything that the left dash fuse block powers so you'd have lost the BCM, memory seats, seat heaters, driver window, transfer case module, HVAC control module and a couple other things would all be dead.   

Edited by newdude

Newdude,

I actually just replaced them without checking. Only lost the gauges, display and radio display. I'm going with the bulletin you mentioned. Tackling that Sunday as it is intermittent at this time. Happens more when the temp drops below 30 here. In the 50's for a few days so I'm going that route. Thanks again

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Doug...RI said:

Newdude,

I actually just replaced them without checking. Only lost the gauges, display and radio display. I'm going with the bulletin you mentioned. Tackling that Sunday as it is intermittent at this time. Happens more when the temp drops below 30 here. In the 50's for a few days so I'm going that route. Thanks again

Sounds good.  Report back if you can, would be good to hear either way, good or bad news on the situation.  

• 3 weeks later...