Speaker Static and OTA Updates

Any new 2022/2023 refreshed Sierra or Silverado owners experiencing speaker static occurring at random? I read there was a previous TSB to address it that would be pushed out to vehicles with an OTA update but another issue I’m having is my vehicle never has any new updates. I connected my truck to my home’s Wi-Fi and got an OnStar subscription (even though you don’t need one for updates if you have Wi-Fi) and still never had any new updates and was wondering if anyone else was getting updates to their trucks and if so does anyone know the most up to date version? 

I have a 2022 ZR2. I bought it used beginning December 2022. Very few miles. I have a DRL recall. From

what I know it’s just a software update. I have not taken it to the dealer as I have been holding out thinking it would get an OTA update. The recall issued Dec 8 2022. Nothing to date an it’s Feb. nothing in mail as well. It shows last update was Oct 8 2022. I also have an OnStar subscription an have it connected to my home WiFi. 

I have a list of things I’m tracking. 
1. ZR2 paint chipping around hood insert

2. Trailer brake controller issue. Electric brakes disconnect. GM is aware but has no official fix. Some have had newer dash controller installed a report success. 

3. Transmission stutter. GM authority site has a GM article on that. 
4. GM authority has article on rear brake line issues. 
5. Radio cuts out every so often. Mostly on XM. Also rear speakers have low volume. 

4 hours ago, swagmoney said:

Any new 2022/2023 refreshed Sierra or Silverado owners experiencing speaker static occurring at random? I read there was a previous TSB to address it that would be pushed out to vehicles with an OTA update but another issue I’m having is my vehicle never has any new updates. I connected my truck to my home’s Wi-Fi and got an OnStar subscription (even though you don’t need one for updates if you have Wi-Fi) and still never had any new updates and was wondering if anyone else was getting updates to their trucks and if so does anyone know the most up to date version? 

Most recent radio software should be W164.  This addressed the static issue.  I did mine a few months ago, no static.  I couldn't get it to go OTA so had to take it in.  The DRL recall came to me OTA however.  

Pic for reference.  Go to Settings, About and then look for Build Number.  The second "Wxxx" is the software number.  If its lower than W164 its the older software.

510874930_IMG_3884(1).thumb.jpg.36a22e38da4773539aa00dbe7657bb57.jpg

2 hours ago, cef2lion said:

2. Trailer brake controller issue. Electric brakes disconnect. GM is aware but has no official fix. Some have had newer dash controller installed a report success. 

This.  We just had a 22 refresh in service trailer brakes.  Had a C159C TBC switch internal malfunction.  Put a new switch in and it fixed it so far.  195 miles on the truck, owner stopped in with his brand new trailer.  Would have brakes for like 2 miles and then the message popped up and disabled them.  

Edited by newdude

Do you recall how long ago you got the DRL OTA update? And did it pop up or did you have do a manual check? I have been doing checks every few days an nothing. Your the first I have heard of someone getting it OTA. 

Edited by cef2lion
Added some txt

@newdude, thanks for the info. I’m running version 163 right now. I took it to the dealership for the recall last month because I wasn’t getting the OTA update and told them to update my cars system to the newest version. They took care of the recall but I’m bringing in my truck again because the software was never updated and the static is still present along with the issue of not OTA updates are being received.

I’m glad you got the recall fixed with an OTA update as the recall states. I only got one OTA update since I got my truck in the summer and that was just for me to accept the update to ensure I’d receive future updates (doesn’t look like that’s the case today). 

I checked mine. It’s at 162. Read post on a FB ZR2 group. They received a letter from GM stating they are just rolling out the DRL OTA update. Will see if I receive a letter. Next trip close to dealer I might schedule an appointment an have them update what they can. I would like to see an OTA update to know its working. 

@cef2lionyes I’d like to know if it’s working in my car too with a future update. I read the other day that some owners received an email from OnStar saying Alexa capability will be coming out very soon with an OTA update, you heard about anything? Jw  

https://www.silveradosierra.com/threads/any-2022-refresh-owners-receive-this-email-from-on-star.751197/

• 2 weeks later...

Update:: I took my vehicle in to the dealership last week and they were able to download the latest version. Not sure though why I never got it OTA. My speaker static is now gone but with the update I also got the Alexa functionality now and it works. I was wondering if anyone was able to get the new update with Alexa OTA just to see if the whole OTA update thing is even working with other owners. 

I checked for OTA updates yesterday. Nothing. Says last update was 10/05/22 an that was before I bought the truck. That update could have been at the dealer for all I know.  No Alexa app as well. I still show I have the DRL recall as incomplete. It says that could be done via OTA. That recall came out 12/8/22. I have not received anything in the mail on the DRL recall to date. 

Makes me wonder if there’s something wrong with GM’s OTA system because there’s definitely updates available. I too, couldn’t receive any updates without taking it to the dealer. Attached, is my card current software version and the Alexa functionality for reference. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0684888515820859cd62405f07695a30.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c8834028db9ceaae676acaf1067a0192.jpeg

• 1 month later...

20230321_174602.thumb.jpg.65d850a14e523b54a5d7aad581892094.jpgI too was not getting OTA updates. Took the truck in today they updated the infotainment system to the latest version which is now version 167.4 they had no answers as to why I'm not getting updates. They are thinking this might fix the issue 🤞

@NW-Shadow21looks like there’s a recent update then. They updated the GMC app to show if your vehicle has any new updates, but looks like it’s broken just like the trucks OTA system. Any new features in your update?

Pretty pointless for GM to come out with OTA updates if we still have to go to the dealer because the feature doesn’t even work. Looks like I’ll have to make an appointment soon.