Failure - Radio or HMI Module (or both?)

So yesterday I leave work radio works find, using carplay to talk on the phone. I get to a dinner stop, to meet a client and all is well. Leave dinner and get in the truck to head home, and the screen on the radio doesn't come on. I can hear the speakers, but the controls knobs on the radio do nothing either. However the screen in the gauges works perfectly and I can change stations and raise and lower the volume as per normal. 

So the radio features appear to be working however the head unit screen and controls are DOA. 

• I have removed the radio fuse on the passenger side. Checked the fuse after a few mins, no change in condition. Replaced the fuse just in chase, still no change. 
  • I have disconnected the blue connector at the HMI module and reconnected, no change in condition. I have wiggled the blue connector cable on the HMI side, still no change, screen doesn't even flicker. 
  • I have disassembled the center dash and removed the radio/bezel disconnected connectors from the screen/controls, still no change, screen doesn't even flicker. 

At this point I'm unsure if the defect is in the HMI or in the Radio Unit itself and was looking for some advise from the group to see if anyone has this experience or input.

On 2/9/2023 at 10:06 PM, agraves138 said:

So yesterday I leave work radio works find, using carplay to talk on the phone. I get to a dinner stop, to meet a client and all is well. Leave dinner and get in the truck to head home, and the screen on the radio doesn't come on. I can hear the speakers, but the controls knobs on the radio do nothing either. However the screen in the gauges works perfectly and I can change stations and raise and lower the volume as per normal. 

So the radio features appear to be working however the head unit screen and controls are DOA. 

• I have removed the radio fuse on the passenger side. Checked the fuse after a few mins, no change in condition. Replaced the fuse just in chase, still no change. 
  • I have disconnected the blue connector at the HMI module and reconnected, no change in condition. I have wiggled the blue connector cable on the HMI side, still no change, screen doesn't even flicker. 
  • I have disassembled the center dash and removed the radio/bezel disconnected connectors from the screen/controls, still no change, screen doesn't even flicker. 

At this point I'm unsure if the defect is in the HMI or in the Radio Unit itself and was looking for some advise from the group to see if anyone has this experience or input.

The radio controls in the wheel work, the cluster radio still works, and you have sound so that makes me think the display is bad.

Do you still have voice commands/bluetooth operation?  If so I think that would rule out the HMI as it handles those.

The radio display controls, you turn the knob and the HMI is the receiver of that input.  HMI talks to the radio with those inputs to then output volume changes, if you push the power button, etc.  HMI handles the display and the information on the display via the radio telling the HMI what to show.  

Edited by newdude