NAV and 6 disk changer in a Silverado

here is a link to one on Ebay....this is the same model number changer i have installed in my truck. I know the seller has it marked as being good through 02' only....but that has to be wrong, as its the same i have in my 2003 silverado.

The 03' and up chevy trucks use a "class II data link" wire (sort of like a LAN wire for your home or work network). Thats why it needs to be an 03' or newer....i think the only way to tell is by model number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=48612

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the BOSE system is a MUST! you have to have BOSE audio system from the get go. If not...you will spend WAY to much for the retrofit.

This "grocery" list will either turn you off, or get you started. To me the price is worth keeping the factory look. Keep in mind these prices are very flexible depending on where you find the parts.....Salvage yard, Ebay, dealer,....etc.

Um8 NAV Head Unit----- #15204335,15204334--------------$1300

Nav Disk----------------- #15105609--------------------------$150

GPS ant------------------ #15207447,15135178--------------$75

Mic------------------------#25705367--------------------------$45

Amp--------------------- #15199992,15199884,15112662---$400

AUX harness------------#15312903---------------------------$25

AUX CD changer-------#15055250---------------------------$180

there are some very minor wiring changes that need to be made at the AMP harness but they only took me about 20 minutes to do, and it doesnt require any cutting, so if you want to return to your original setup, its not a problem.

i bought my parts mainly from Ebay and saved a lot of $$$....i spent a total of about $1500 on everything. You dont need to have all of those parts if you dont want to, the very minimum is the head unit, the amp, the antenna, and the disk. The Microphone is not really needed if you dont want voice enabling, and the CD changer equipment isnt needed if you can do without the 6 CD changer......i couldnt, so i installed it.

$1500 sounds reasonable for everything.

I do have bose, but no steering wheel controls, no XM

just the in dash 6 disc changer,

I looked on ebay and found two but they wanted 1500-1600 just for the head units. I need to find a better deal than that to get me to bite.

I really like your set up. Do you think after the conversion I would still be able to run a LOC from the subwoofer connection to my JL amp?

sure....just let me know.

Linda, I just recieved the AUX harness to connect my changer this afternoon and got the dust off the changer. Now, I just need your help connecting the AUX harness to the connector on the head unit.

Thanks for the link to eBay, it's the same on I have. I'm excited that I finally get to use the changer after it's been sitting in my closet for six months. Your help is greatly appreciated. :cool:

Poonis, shoot me an E-mail this afternoon. I get off of work arount 5-6pm EST. I will send you some documents that will make the hook-up understandable. Send the E-mail to:

[email protected]

Also poonis, you will need to solder three wires into the Hu harness, it will only take you a second to do. The three wires we will need to solder too are:

1. + voltage (bigger of the two orange wires)

2. ground (blk/wht)

3. class II data line (smaller of the two orange wires)

Make sure you dont cut any wires off the new harness you got. We will be removing the connector from one end, but we will be just removing the pins from the connector, not cutting them out. The pins that we remove from one end of the connecter will slide right into the 12 pin harness.

I will give you some better info and schematics later tonight.

How did you do Poonis?

Linda,

I installed it last night when I got home around 11pm. It was little hard trying to solder at night but everything went and work great. Couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks. :loser:

Next is the Nav unit as soon as I save enough money for it.

Thanks again. :loser:

44020005.jpg

Very nice Poonis! That looks nice and clean. I assume all your sterring wheel controls work fine like mine right? Excellent job. Any problems cutting that pocket out? It was a little tricky for me around the top where those plastic tabs were connected to the upper pocket, but a little shaving and sanding and it worked perfect.

All the control seems to work fine. It was little trouble to get the pocket cut out and shaving it little by little. I too shaved the tabs down to the same level as the lower pocket. I had little black plastic shavings everywhere. :loser: Only really frustrating part was trying to get the harness from where the head unit was down to the lower pocket. I just got lucky that when I lowered the harness down as I was about to lose it :loser:, it somehow came right down to the hole that was left after the cutting and grinding behind the dash.

well for the trouble it was, im sure it is worth it for you. Im glad it worked out, as far as i know we are the only 2 with this MOD so far....but i have some others beating my door down for help so it wont last long. Good Work! :loser:

Archived