2002 4-Wheel Steering

Guest Friz

I read somwhere that the steering will be speed sensitive. That is how it is going to work. Also will have IRS from what I understand. Definitely will be something to talk about if they ever do make it.

Some info:

-- I believe the system is IRS, but I am not completely sure

-- The system IS speed sensitive (this one I am sure about, but I'm not sure about the cutoff speeds).  At low speeds the rear tires turn in the opposite direction of the front tires.  At "moderate" speeds the rear tires remain straight.  At higher speeds the rear tires turn in the same direction as the front tires.

-- The system has a lot of redundancies (I think I read "5" somewhere) that cause the rear wheels to automatically return to a straight position and stay there if anything goes wrong.

-- When backing a trailer at low speeds with the system, the trailer follows the intended path better than with 2-wheel steering.

-- When hauling a trailer at higher speeds the 4-wheel steering is more resistant to cross-winds and trailer sway.

-- Obviously you get a smaller turning radius.

-- Rear tire wear should be better with 4WS than with conventional steering.

I haven't driven a truck with it on yet, but I personally like the idea of 4-wheel steering.  Now if they can get the option cost down!

TxDoc:

I didn't get a chance to reply to your posts about 4-wheel steering on PUTC and TDP, but I will here now.

I heard it will debut on the 1500's.  I believe Delphi is still finishing up testing of the system on a heavy-duty axle, so the HD's should get it in 2003 or 2004.  With the 1500's, look for it to show up on the GMC first, and the Chevy later.  I don't have any inside info to support this, but all of the concept vehicles that had 4WS so far have been GMC's (TerraDyne, TerraCross, Cx).  Also, when I say "1500's" I'm not sure if it will be the pickups or the Yukon/Yukon XL, but i would expect the SUV's to get it before the pickups.

Delphi also has systems developed for Ford .....

Scott

(Edited by sk at 9:13 am on April 25, 2001)

You guys are correct -- it IS a solid axle.  Here's a quote directly from Delphi's website:

"It combines conventional front-wheel steering with an electrically powered rear-wheel steering system. The system has four main components - a front-wheel position sensor, steerable solid hypoid rear axle, electric motor-driven actuator, and a control unit. Hand-wheel position sensors and vehicle speed sensors continuously report data to the control unit, which determines the appropriate angle of the rear wheels. Algorithms are then used to determine the correct phase of operation."

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

July 2001 Off-Road Article. Another site had a dealer comment and say no such thing "at this time". On the customer assistance lines, GMC said yes, but not sure which (1500, 2500) models.  Chevy said not sure but felt it would be across the board option. I don't see it on the 2500's, too. With delivery and build probs with the Duramax's, that would be a big chunk to bite off.

I have no idea why a car would need a tighter turning radius. Bad marketing idea.

I am looking for more go than show. I am interested in a 4x4 that can get in an out of ruts, get thru a tight spots in a wooded area, have better maneuverability and capabilities with trailers.  I am more interested in agressive tires and a winch than bug deflectors and colored headlights and clear tail light lenses.

I have no idea why a car would need a tighter turning radius. Bad marketing idea.

I think it did show up on the top line Dodge Stealth R/T and its Mitsu cousin, the Eclipse, in their second generation... it was a speed issue to support the turbo AWD.  But you're right, it wasn't too successful -- they dropped it for the last gen.

Archived