Motor Replacement

Well first off, if you have power windows the engine replacement is going to cost a bunch more than if you have manual windows. And the blinker fluid system has to be flushed out to prevent knomes from breeding in the turnsignals. :happysad:

It is going to be expensive, cheaper if you do it yourself, but a new motor from GM is high priced, used would be cheaper, GM shop labor is alot, local shop labor isn't.

I'll bet you wouldn't make a scab on a mechanic's ass.

:happysad: ... Is this guy serious? :fume:

EDIT: I'm glad you take everything so seriously, I clearly gave you advice in my first post.

It is going to be expensive, cheaper if you do it yourself, but a new motor from GM is high priced, used would be cheaper, GM shop labor is alot, local shop labor isn't.

Being it is a 95 TBI truck, I would get a used motor from a yard, and install it on friday night after work with my buddies. That would cost you no labor, and prob about 500 for the motor. Assuming your more wrench savvy than a scab on a mechanics butt.

Come on guys, lighten up..... if you like to flame, find another site...

If you replaced you engine with a GM crate engine, the engine cost would be in the range of $3,500 to $4,000 and the installation would be $1,500 to $2,000, not cheap...

The cheapest solution to your problem is to fix the engine you have, unless the rods are hanging out of the block.

What is wrong with your engine? Maybe there is a reasonable fix that isn't all that expensive.

I'll be serious. The 5.7 in my '95 truck was replaced by the dealer under warranty in 2000. New long block from GM, new hoses, belts, tune-up parts, and water pump were extra. The invoice was $4381.00

What is the problem and what kind of options are you interested in? There is a lot of experience here and people are willing to help.

We also have the minumum RDA of smartasses to keep us from getting bored with each other. :wtf: Don't get mad at them, just roll with the punches.

I'll be serious. The 5.7 in my '95 truck was replaced by the dealer under warranty in 2000. New long block from GM, new hoses, belts, tune-up parts, and water pump were extra. The invoice was $4381.00

What is the problem and what kind of options are you interested in? There is a lot of experience here and people are willing to help.

We also have the minumum RDA of smartasses to keep us from getting bored with each other.  :wtf: Don't get mad at them, just roll with the punches.

Did you have an extended warrentee? Thats a good deal!!

And, yes, I try to help liven up the mood around here when I can. But as far as that scab comment, maybe you should do some searching around before you say things like that.

I priced a "remanufactured" 5.7L from Jasper Engines about 6 months ago at $3385 exchange. Labor at the independent shop I use is $78/hr. If you go to Jasper's website (have to do a brief sign up now) you can get a price for the engine and a reference to a local installer for the total. Maybe there are others on this site who've had actual experience with them, I haven't. Just a possibility to explore.

I'm sorry, I appoligize if I have offended anyone. I was just trying to get some estimates for my brother. I am a disabled mechanic since 2001, so I haven't kept up with the cost of things. He just bought the vehicle, is about to retire and was thinking about replacing the high mileage motor in it.

My thanks to those that offered great replies with the information I needed!

Keep an eye out on eBay for new GM Goodwrench crate motors, try searching on "VORTEC" and keep drilling down. I was able to score a brand new L31 (5.7) long block for $1500 delivered last summer (Guy who bought it had his truck totalled by his wife b4 he had a chance to install :-( ). Suggest you ck out Sallee Chevrolet (Google it) as well...

Keep an eye out on eBay for new GM Goodwrench crate motors, try searching on "VORTEC" and keep drilling down.  I was able to score a brand new L31 (5.7) long block for $1500 delivered last summer (Guy who bought it had his truck totalled by his wife b4 he had a chance to install :-( ).  Suggest you ck out Sallee Chevrolet (Google it) as well...

BUt he dosen't have a vortec, he has a TBI.

Don't worry DaveM, we just need to have a lighter side of the site, if it was just people in bad moods all the time then this site would be extreemly lame!!

Cool Zr2, yes I did get the extended warranty with my truck. That total engine swap cost me $53.75. I also got a loaner van for the week that my truck was in the shop.

Dave M., if that motor is running okay, I would not advise changing it. Todays FI and Comp controlled engines run a lot longer than the old vacuum advance carbed motors.

If it's making good power without smoking, leave it be and change the oil.

I just replaced the 350tbi in my '93 suburban last fall. It had 160k on it, ran pretty good, but I pull a 6000lb travel trailer on longer trips and I wanted it to be trouble free. First of all I brought it to a reputable transmission shop and had the tranny checked out. Then I bought a tbi crate motor from Denooyer Chevy in Kalamazoo, Mich. for $1617. I replaced the starter, alternater, and all the sensors while I was at it. I spent a total of $2000 for everything plus my own labor. The Chevy tbi is one of the easiest swaps there is. It is not worth the hassle to try to put a vortec 350 in as there are a lot of hidden costs( There are EGR, custom computer chip, and waterpump issues to deal with, I know, I had a vortec that I was going to install). I am told that they will not run right with a tbi on them, and the other alternative is to run the Edelbrock tbi/vortec conversion multi-port injection which will cost you about $1500 extra!!! My 350tbi crate motor runs excellent and I am very happy with it and will get many extra trouble free years of operation with it.

78 per hour seems quite high, I mean, the GM dealer here at home only charges 59 dollars per hour, and the local shop, 32 per hour.

That's cheap. They call charge $98/hour a year ago when I worked @ the dealer.

The reason why I buy extended warranty's.....piss on that $98/hour. I know people have to make a living, but it's not going to be off me.

Archived