My wife bought one last July. She loves it. The last time I checked gas milage, she was getting about 18mpg. Compare that to her old blazer with about 11mpg, and you can see why she likes it so much. We also live in the northeast, and have gotten alot of snow this year. She goes real good in the snow, no complaints. One complaint is the light colored interior, shows all the dirt. I would recommend this car to anyone. I hope this helps, Feel free to throw any specific questions at me if you would like.

I guess a lot depends on driving conditions and driving style, but I was routinely getting 18-19 mpg out of my 2003 Trailblazer and even had two tanks where I hit over 21 just before I traded it for my truck. If the 'nox is getting around 18 for your wife it sounds like there isn't much (if any) difference in the actual gas mileage between the two, and I can guarantee that the TB tows much better. On the other hand, the 'nox does have those nifty sliding rear bench seats. :cheers:

we looked at one for my gf. it was ok, but they wouldnt deal on them at all (this was last fall). instead, she got a year old enovy with about 15k miles on it for the same price. the enovy is totally loaded (leather, sunroof, everything) compared to a rather basic equinox. she gets 17 pretty steady with a 50/50 mix of city/highwaydriving.

i didnt particulary like the equinox. i found it very uncomfortable to sit in. I am pretty tall, and to put the seat far enough back to fit in - there was no place for my left arm to go! it hit the pillar between the front and back doors...

I compared the Equinox with the Buick Rendezvous and found it to be much less comfortable and couldn't figure out why Chevy put a silly box in the rear cargo area. They are quite similar, and rather than buying one new, I'd look for a year or two old Buick CXL to compensate the price difference between Buick and Chevy, if I decided on it again. Some 2 year leases should be coming in for resale.

My wife loves her '03 we bought new, it is a bit more feminine, has a little less horses than a Trail/Envoy, but we get 23 on the highway Averaging about 75mph and roughly 19 mixed.

My '02 Envoy we bought used I get around 17 Mixed and 21 Hwy, and my loaded Envoy has held its value longer than the loaded Rendezvous has and is worth more.

One other thing, The Rendezvous takes a bit of an uncommon tire size, which I found out 2 days before we left to drive cross country in it and the wife cut a tire on a drainage grate. You might want to check for that on the Equinox, too. I call it uncommon because Walmart didn't stock it, which was the only tire store open at the time.

When we bought our TB, we had already put an order in for a fully loaded Equinox. But we weren't convinced.. We liked the ride, it more or less felt like a really tall car. But it wasn't as rugged as the Trailblazer which we hadn't at the time driven because we thought it was out of our price range. I liked the sliding rear seat, and the style of it, but the rear cargo area bugged me. I liked the versatility, but it bugged the crap out of me that it was so narrow with the strut towers, etc.

We ended up driving a Trailblazer for S**ts and giggles, and fell in love with it. The extra space was welcome, and the fact that the dealer had leftover 2004 models with tons of cash incentives, it brough the TB within reach. In the end we got a fully loaded Trailblazer for only slightly more than the fully loaded Equinox.

If you just want to save on gas mileage, I think you may be better served by looking at switching out your gear ratios. We've got 4.11 gears and it feels peppier, but the mileage suffers. It may be more economical to switch the gear ratio, save on gas, and not get into a whole other car. This way you get to keep the extra space and towing capacity of the TB/Envoy.

Archived