Falls flat at 2500 RPM's

Ok my dads 00 2500 with an auto and 350, seems to drive around town fairly normal but on the hwy you have to accelerate slowly up to 65, but if you floor, it or give it about 1/2 WOT, it will go up in RPMS but will lose speed, like its chokeing or flooding its elf out. It doesn't back fire, doesn't run hot or blow smoke.

He has put in new plugs about 6000 miles ago, infact I think he did an overall tuneup. It has 120,000 miles.

Where does he need to start looking first to fix this? Please?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fuel pump or filter would be my first guess. Doulble check he did the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure. On the 00 it may be a regulator also. Which needs to be checked 2 ways. check the vacuum hose hooked to it and see if there is any fuel present. should be none. Then fuel pressure test pull hose see if it goes up(pressure) and block of return line to see if it changes pressure. or stays steady.

No he didn't do the fuel filter. Where is it located at on his truck.

Remember this is the OBS with a 350, in case some of ya got missed lead by the year "00".

His fuel pump is really loud. Louder than it has ever been? Is that a sign of it going out, or that its running really hard cause of the filter?

Thanks facn8me, I love the new sig pic.

Replace that fuel filter. It is located underneath inside frame rail on the drivers side. about where the cross member is. Real easy to get to and off. Do this first. It may not be the problem but if it is it's not helping out the fuel pump having to strain. Do a quick check of the fuel pressure regulator by pulling the vacuum hose off it after running for a min. and see if there is any fuel in it .

Thanks for the compliment.

Archived