First towing trip with my Durmax

I did about 3200 miles worth of towing last week. Went from MA to Bowling Green, KY to pick up a C6 convertible. Then to Panama City Beach for some Spring Break action and then back to MA. The truck was pulling a 24' enclosed car hauler that probably weighs about 6000lbs without a car in it.

Mileage really wasn't what I expected it to be. The best that I saw before loading the car was 11.3 and the best after adding another 3200lbs was 10.2. I don't tow like Grandma so that probably has something to do with it. Here is a rundown from the notes that I was keeping -

Hauler with no car -

10 MPG - level 2 tune - running between 65-75 - some slow driving because of traffic/snow

9.1 MPG - level 1 tune - 70-80 MPH - getting into the hills of PA

10.9 MPG - level 3 tune - about 70-75 MPH

11.3 MPG - level 3 tune - 70-75 MPH

8.9 - level 2 - running at about 80 MPH most of the time

There were a few other tanks of fuel. The numbers are pretty much the same.

After the car was loaded (level 2 tune unless noted) -

9.0 MPG - 75-80 MPH

8.6 MPG - cruise set at 80 MPH 95% of the time

8.9 MPG - 80-85 MPH

9.6 MPG - 70-75 MPH

10.2 MPG - 70-75 MPH with the level 1 tune

I believe the RPMs were at about 2300 while doing about 75 MPH and 2500 or so at 80. I know that I can't expect the world at these speeds but I did exect a little higher. Especially while cruising at 70-75 MPH. I was thinking at least a solid 12-13.

All of the numbers above were calculated by hand and the tank was filled to the rim each time. I found the display to be off by about .5-.7 MPG (reads high) and the fuel used was off by about 2 gallons when it was time to stop (reads low).

I never saw the low fuel light at any point. The most I needed was 29 gallons. Does anyone know what point that comes on?

sierranewsm.jpg

2005 Duramax powered Sierra HD - MANY mods going on now!

2002 8.1 Silverado HD - Full Throttle lift, 37" tires, 4.56 gears, Comp Cam, TOG headers, Volant induction plus more! - for sale!

2002 8.1 Suburban -Intercooled Whipple supercharger, 22" wheels/tires + more - 407hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels - 13.93 @ 95.79 MPH - sold!

www.tbyrnemotorsports.com

I did about 3200 miles worth of towing last week. Went from MA to Bowling Green, KY to pick up a C6 convertible. Then to Panama City Beach for some Spring Break action and then back to MA. The truck was pulling a 24' enclosed car hauler that probably weighs about 6000lbs without a car in it.

Mileage really wasn't what I expected it to be. The best that I saw before loading the car was 11.3 and the best after adding another 3200lbs was 10.2. I don't tow like Grandma so that probably has something to do with it. Here is a rundown from the notes that I was keeping -

Hauler with no car -

10 MPG - level 2 tune - running between 65-75 - some slow driving because of traffic/snow

9.1 MPG - level 1 tune - 70-80 MPH - getting into the hills of PA

10.9 MPG - level 3 tune - about 70-75 MPH

11.3 MPG - level 3 tune - 70-75 MPH

8.9 - level 2 - running at about 80 MPH most of the time

There were a few other tanks of fuel. The numbers are pretty much the same.

After the car was loaded (level 2 tune unless noted) -

9.0 MPG - 75-80 MPH

8.6 MPG - cruise set at 80 MPH 95% of the time

8.9 MPG - 80-85 MPH

9.6 MPG - 70-75 MPH

10.2 MPG - 70-75 MPH with the level 1 tune

I believe the RPMs were at about 2300 while doing about 75 MPH and 2500 or so at 80. I know that I can't expect the world at these speeds but I did exect a little higher. Especially while cruising at 70-75 MPH. I was thinking at least a solid 12-13.

All of the numbers above were calculated by hand and the tank was filled to the rim each time. I found the display to be off by about .5-.7 MPG (reads high) and the fuel used was off by about 2 gallons when it was time to stop (reads low).

I never saw the low fuel light at any point. The most I needed was 29 gallons. Does anyone know what point that comes on?

sierranewsm.jpg

2005 Duramax powered Sierra HD - MANY mods going on now!

2002 8.1 Silverado HD - Full Throttle lift, 37" tires, 4.56 gears, Comp Cam, TOG headers, Volant induction plus more! - for sale!

2002 8.1 Suburban -Intercooled Whipple supercharger, 22" wheels/tires + more - 407hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels - 13.93 @ 95.79 MPH - sold!

www.tbyrnemotorsports.com

Tell us about the C6! I'd love to have a black coupe.

good info. I always like seeing stats like that, good or bad.

one thing that got me....85mph with the car in the hauler? that is almost too fast.

I'd bet if you kept it at 6, your numbers would increase by at least 2-3mpg.

but it is sooooo hard to keep the foot off isn't it? especially with that rig you have there.

The fastest that I will tow at is 85 MPH but that's kind of rare. I'll cruise at 80 without a problem. Granted it sounds fast but the truck is extremely stable. I can set the cruise control and let it go. I become one with the truck and feel everything that is going on.

Here is a right up that I posted on one of the Corvette boards yesterday -

A buddy and I took a ride down to Bowling Green to pick up my C6 convertible last Wednesday. Of course we got a good snow storm the night before we left. Woke up at 5:30 am to find 4-5" of snow and temps in the single digits (burrr). The first part of the trip was slow. We only covered 155 miles in just over 4 hours. The highways were ok, but not in the best condition. Drivers in CT were all over the road. I counted at least 5-6 accidents over about 40 miles. This kept us going at a snails pace for awhile. Thankfully the truck is set up for road trips so a few movie helped pass the time. It was smooth sailing as we got closer to the NY boarder. I originally planned to get down there around 10 pm but traffic pushed our arrival time to 12:30am.

Got a few hours sleep, ate and then went to the Museum for 7:45. Actually, ended up going to the plant first (oops) and then to the Museum. The people there are absolutely awesome! Extremely knowledgeable and very personal service. Can't say enough good things about them! We jumped in a Suburban and headed over to the plant. Spend a few hours over there and then went back to the Museum to do the tour over there. Finished some paperwork and then thoroughly went over the car and all of it's features. This is an excellent way to pick up a Corvette and is highly recommended if you have the time to do it!

We went outside to take a few pictures and then drove over to the plant to take a few there. On the way back I saw a black C6 coming up fast. This one was different though... It had a big opening in the front to feed an aluminum 427 motor. I turned the camera on and handed it to my buddy but he couldn't get the front shot in time. He did get one of the rear as it went around the corner. I thought about following but didn't want to get my a** handed to me on a platter so I headed out. We then loaded the car in the trailer and headed for the highway. Remember what I told you about snow when we left? There was no way I was going to come right back to that! So we jumped on route 65 south. This put us in Panama City Beach at midnight. Kept the car locked up for the night but did have plenty of time to check out some of the clubs before 4am.

A few hours sleep gave us enough energy to pull the car out and do a little cruising before joining in on some of the Spring Break activities :cry: That lasted until about 4am on Saturday morning. A few more hours sleep and then back to putting some more break-in miles on the car. We got out of there (or should I say that I was dragged away) around 6:30pm on Saturday. Drove 7 hours that night, slept for 5 hours and then spent another 16 hours driving home. For some reason I don't want to see any highways for about a week! :D

There was ALOT to take pictures of during this trip but these are just a few -

museum.jpg

C6 in the Museum line-up

museum1.jpg

Took a few pictures outside

trailer.jpg

Pack it up!

cartrailer.jpg

And pull it out for some top down cruising! Trailer needs to be detailed after this trip.

Z06.jpg

Hey, that Z06 is getting away!

You're lucky you didn't get stopped driving that fast down here. They're ticket happy here between Panama City and Fort Walton Beach/Destin. I keep it around 5 over until I hit the 'bama state line, then I run about 80. Slower if I have a heavier load. And yes if you go around 65 (hard for me to do with my right foot) mileage will greatly improve. I get around 12-14 towing with a load depending on wind resistance.

Best all time towing mileage was 16.5 mpg while towing my 30ft gooseneck equipment trailer from the house in FWB to Falkville, AL at 68 mph.

I tried to keep to about 9-10 MPH over the speed limit. That sometimes went to 15 if traffic was moving that fast. At one point I was doing 80-85 in GA and SC. People were passing me pretty quick. Things slow down when I get closer to New England. The speed limit drops down to 65 so I run at 70.

The truck now as 5400 miles on the odometer (started at 21xx before I left) so I think it still needs to be broken in a little more.

I don't have many plans for the Vette. Need to figure out what I want for wheels soon. I'll probably go with 19 or 20". The car will also get a Corsa exhaust and intercooled Magnuson supercharger.

mileage don't sound to good... must be the tuning/mods??

I drove a bone stock 2003 crewcab duramax 700 plus miles in the backroad hills of Iowa/Ill and got 16.8 pulling a SSR on a 20ft flatbed trailer.. running anywhere from 60-75mph.. power up the @$$ pulling hills no less then 60..

But this was as mentioned Stock.. tires motor and all!!

I see so many who have done mods and then end up not happy with the mileage..

like the recent tranny topics.. (if I get a tune will my tranny melt down)) Why Mess With it.... just my thought at this point anyway.. I have thought about getting a tune but in the real reading world I believe I will skip it for awhile..

sometimes I believe the less changed the better all the way around, all the reading on tunes, tranny temps, and so on lead me to keeping mine stock as well...

either way cool vette!!

Sometimes less can be better because one thing usually leads to something either - either because you want it or because you need it. I think my speed didn't help the mileage. I probably would have picked up a few MPG if I could have kept it to 68-70 MPH (RPMs 2000 or less). I've found that enclosed trailers really hurt mileage. They are like pulling a big wall behind the truck. This was my last trip with the 24' Hallmark that I used. A 32' ATC was delivered a few days after I got back. It's an aluminum trailer so the weight should be about the same even though it is 8' longer. This one has a 4' "V" nose so that should help reduce wind resistance and maybe help with MPG.

The stock tranny will usually hold an additional 80-90hp and 150 ft-lb. There can be problems after that. I've got used to the level 3 Edge tuning that I'm using so it's almost time for a tranny/converter upgrade and then bump it up a few levels.

I hear ya on the truck being extremely stable. I tow my 28'(weighs around 6100 pounds ready to camp) fifth wheel camper a lot in the summertime and I can go however fast I want to. Generally, I'll go 70 on the interstate and 60-65 otherwise. At 60-65 I get around 9mpg towing. Sure would like the C6 too! Sweet automobile! :flag:

My eyes opened when I saw 9MPG while towing at 60-65. Then I saw 8.1 in your signiture. Don't worry, I feel your pain. I've seen that or less with my 8.1s. Actually, the best that I've seen while towing on road trips is 7.8 MPG.

It has the tuner, Volant induction and MBRP Cool Dual exhaust.

I'm expecting mileage to go downhill when I bolt the 22" wheels/tires on in a few weeks but then it might not hurt it at all because the tires will be taller so the engine won't be turning as fast.

Archived