1999 Chevy ABS Problem

My 1999 Chevy K1500 (old body style) has a braking issue where the ABS is activated almost every time just before coming to a stop, somewhere around 5mph or less. I suspected a bad ABS sensor in one of the front wheels. When I visually inspected them I noticed the wiring going from both front sensors had obviously touched the metal about 2-3 inches above the sensor when the metal was hot. The result is a burn in the wiring insulation. It appears on both sides, but on the drivers side it appears it got down to the wires. Now I suspect that replacing the cable will likely solve the problem, unless the sensor was damaged when the wires grounded.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

I replaced the ABS sensor but it didn't solve the problem. I'll replace the other side next since that wire is burned also, albeit not as bad. The wire and sensor are one assembly and cost $150 at the dealer. GMpartsdirect.com has them for about $97 with shipping. The new part looks like it will also melt under the same circumstances.

Here's a look at the part I replaced:

abssensor.jpg

I'd take a look at the reluctor ring that the sensor uses for it's signal...there will be a bunch of teeth on it. It should be clean and free of debris, and none of the teeth should be cracked. If it's full of dirt and rust, you have to clean it off and take it from there. Make sure that the wheel bearings are good and not loose also. If the wheel has too much play in it, the sensor may see a false signal.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just looked in the hole that the sensor goes into. The teeth that I could see look good and clean. There is no play in the axle at all that I can feel.

The tires are replacements but the same size as the originals. As I recall, the tires were a larger sized factory option.

I towed an equipment trailer from California to Utah and back last October. By the time I got home the brake pedal was pulsating badly from the rotors. I replaced them and the brake pads, both of which showed heat damage. I only started noticing the ABS issue over the past month or so.

I have a '99 nbs. It had the same problem with the abs engaging. I fixed it by removing the sensors and cleaning the tiny amount of corrosion between where the sensor and the hub meet. When I cleaned one side the abs still was engaging but when I cleaned the second side my problems were solved. Last time I was at the dealer they told me there is a recall for this and it would be fixed for free regardless of age or mileage. I told them next time I would get them to do it. They will also replace the sensors for free if they are faulty. I don't know if the recall applies to obs or not.

Thanks for the info., Indy. I'll check into it.

I'll go ahead and replace the other solenoid since the wire is burned and it's a special order part I can't return. I made sure the mounting surface on the first solenoid was really clean and greased before I installed it.

Had the same problem on my 99.(nbs) Anyways, I got tired of it and pulled the fuse to it. Short term fix. Today I brought my truck in for some other service issues and was told there was a recall for that. Might want to check it out before spending time/money fixing it. Hope it helps

• 2 weeks later...
Had the same problem on my 99.(nbs)  Anyways, I got tired of it and pulled the fuse to it.  Short term fix.  Today I brought my truck in for some other service issues and was told there was a recall for that.  Might want to check it out before spending time/money fixing it.  Hope it helps

I'm in the same boat...it really kicks in when I'm turning and coming to a stop...d**n near hit someone today! :jester:

Does anyone have information about this recall?

Thanks!

Had the same problem on my 99.(nbs)  Anyways, I got tired of it and pulled the fuse to it.  Short term fix.  Today I brought my truck in for some other service issues and was told there was a recall for that.  Might want to check it out before spending time/money fixing it.  Hope it helps

I'm in the same boat...it really kicks in when I'm turning and coming to a stop...d**n near hit someone today! :jester:

Does anyone have information about this recall?

Thanks!

They will fix it for free and replace the ABS sensors if necessary. No mileage or age restriction as it is a safety issue as you know. I was told about it when I brought my truck in to the dealer for an oil change(free lifetime). I'm in Canada but I'm sure it applies to the USA also. Call your dealer or drop by and talk to a service rep.

My 1999 Chevy K1500 (old body style) has a braking issue where the ABS is activated almost every time just before coming to a stop, somewhere around 5mph or less.  I suspected a bad ABS sensor in one of the front wheels.  When I visually inspected them I noticed the wiring going from both front sensors had obviously touched the metal about 2-3 inches above the sensor when the metal was hot.  The result is a burn in the wiring insulation.  It appears on both sides, but on the drivers side it appears it got down to the wires.  Now I suspect that replacing the cable will likely solve the problem, unless the sensor was damaged when the wires grounded.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Usually this is caused when one of the wheel speed sensors has weak signal. The voltage declines with speed. At some point the one with the weak signal drops out causing an ABS event. The best way to see it is with a dual channel lab scope. I don’t imagine many of you have one handy.

So I would look for corrosion in the connectors. Remove and inspect the sensors themselves for corrosion or other defects. Also check the resistance through the sensors. They should be fairly close to each other.

Good luck!

Doug

All your problems are due to wheel bearing wear:

LOW SPEED ABS ENGAGEMENT

The wheel speed sensors are built into the hub. As the hub/bearing wears out, it allows the reluctor (pick-up) wheel to move away from the wheel speed sensor. This causes too much of an air gap, and the wheel speed sensor sends an erratic signal to the EBCM (electronic brake control module).

This in turn looks like a wheel slip and the ABS is energized and engages. This usually happens at low speeds, because the signal is more erratic at lower speeds.

The only true repair is to replace the bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. GM does explain a removal and readjustment procedure, but I haven't

seen that fix last more than a couple months before the same concern re-arises.

You'll have to go to a dealership or a garage that knows how to test the wheel speed sensors. A good dealership will know how, as it is WELL documented in SI. We do a couple a week at the very least.

As far as a recall I doubt it, because most of the vehicles that we see are getting to the age and mileage that is normal for a wheel bearing to show that kind of wear. THere has been a redesigned hub, and that is what will be installed on your truck, but other than that, if you are out of warranty, and the warranty admin. at your dealership can't help you, then a call to 1800GMTRUCK may be the answer. We are getting most of them covered up to 60k miles right now, but most of the trucks already have 75k + on them.

Hope this helps.

All your problems are due to wheel bearing wear:

LOW SPEED ABS ENGAGEMENT

The wheel speed sensors are built into the hub. As the hub/bearing wears out, it allows the reluctor (pick-up) wheel to move away from the  wheel speed sensor. This causes too much of an air gap, and the wheel speed sensor sends an erratic signal to the EBCM (electronic brake control module).

This in turn looks like a wheel slip and the ABS is energized and engages. This usually happens at low speeds, because the signal is more erratic at lower speeds.

The only true repair is to replace the bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. GM does explain a removal and readjustment procedure, but I haven't

seen that fix last more than a couple months before the same concern re-arises.

You'll have to go to a dealership or a garage that knows how to test the wheel speed sensors. A good dealership will know how, as it is WELL documented in SI. We do a couple a week at the very least.

As far as a recall I doubt it, because most of the vehicles that we see are getting to the age and mileage that is normal for a wheel bearing to show that kind of wear. THere has been a redesigned hub, and that is what will be installed on your truck, but other than that, if you are out of warranty, and the warranty admin. at your dealership can't help you, then a call to 1800GMTRUCK may be the answer. We are getting most of them covered up to 60k miles right now, but most of the trucks already have 75k + on them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info...

My truck has 56k on the clock, so I WILL be pushing this issue to be covered.

Archived