Help needed with AM/FM cassette/ CD combo

I've got a problem with the factory stereo in my '96 Suburban. It has the AM/FM cassette with the slave CD player below the a/c controls. I had a CD playing when all of the sudden the volume went away, kinda like someone turned the volume knob down. If you play with the volume knob you can get the volume to come back on, but it will come on so quick that it goes to full loud and then will fade back down without touching the volume knob. If you turn the unit off and then back on, the volume will fade up some and then back down, all without touching the volume knob. I first thought that I had a problem with the head unit, so I ordered an exchange unit from my local GM dealership. But it did the same thing with the new unit as it did with the old unit :P . Now I'm kinda wondering if there has been many problems with the factory amps or the amp relays. Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, how hard is it to get to the amp relay? I'm not buying another part until I can check the amp and the relay. Sorry for being so long-winded. Thanks for any input. Chris

I know it might sound stupid, but I had a 97' truck and it had that speed sensitive volume on it and maybe it's getting a goofy signal from the speed sensor.

I not sure if that could be the problem, kinda just throwing :P info out there.

I know it might sound stupid, but I had a 97' truck and it had that speed sensitive volume on it and maybe it's getting a goofy signal from the speed sensor.

I not sure if that could be the problem, kinda just throwing :P  info out there.

Hey man, thanks for the reply! Yeah, I thought about that too, but I can actually get the volume to change slightly going down the road by turning the speed sensitive knob up and down. So I would think that part of the system is working like it's supposed to...

Archived