Need help with 99 Yukon leaks!

ex10psi

Question

I've got a whole bunch of leaks underneath my Yukon and I took several pictures to show what's going on:

Driveshaft entering front diff, oil dropplet:

Pic 1.

Driveshaft entering transfer case, no oil dropplet in pic because I wiped it down, but notice the wet cross member. It's leaking right out of that black rubber cover over the driveshaft:

Pic 2.

Transfer case has several oil dropplet leaks, again wiped down before pic was taken but notice wet bottom bolts compared to the other ones:

Pic 3.

Hopefully someone can help me out here. Is it tough to replace these gaskets, seals? How much labor time are we looking at? And is it common for the front diff to leak like that, where the driveshaft enters? It looks as though the "main seals" around the front diff are okay, no wet bolts or leaks that I was able to see.

And the tcase leaks were red colored oil... but the front diff to driveshaft leak was engine oil colored leak, didnt' quite smell like normal motor oil though... not sure what it is.

Thanks,

eric

~Edit by Wingnut

***I linked the pictures because they're so big, 56kers would be here for two days.***

0 answers to this question

I've got a whole bunch of leaks underneath my Yukon and I took several pictures to show what's going on:

Pic 1.

Driveshaft entering transfer case, no oil dropplet in pic because I wiped it down, but notice the wet cross member. It's leaking right out of that black rubber cover over the driveshaft:

Pic 2.

Transfer case has several oil dropplet leaks, again wiped down before pic was taken but notice wet bottom bolts compared to the other ones:

Pic 3.

Hopefully someone can help me out here. Is it tough to replace these gaskets, seals? How much labor time are we looking at? And is it common for the front diff to leak like that, where the driveshaft enters? It looks as though the "main seals" around the front diff are okay, no wet bolts or leaks that I was able to see.

And the tcase leaks were red colored oil... but the front diff to driveshaft leak was engine oil colored leak, didnt' quite smell like normal motor oil though... not sure what it is.

Thanks,

eric

~Edit by Wingnut

***I linked the pictures because they're so big, 56kers would be here for two days.***

It is tough if you dont have a lift and the right tools. I would guess the garage, if honest, would charge about 6-8 hrs labor for the 3. If you have a manual x-fer case, it has auto tranny fluid in it which is pink/red. Front diff has 80-90w gear oil in it.

Any idea what I need to replace on driveshaft going into the transfer case? Do I have to take the driveshaft out of there and replace a seal somewhere inside the transfer case? I believe this is where the slip yoke enters?

Thanks

Pic 1.

Pic 2.

Pic 3.

Thanks,

eric

~Edit by Wingnut

It is tough if you dont have a lift and the right tools. I would guess the garage, if honest, would charge about 6-8 hrs labor for the 3. If you have a manual x-fer case, it has auto tranny fluid in it which is pink/red. Front diff has 80-90w gear oil in it.

Archived