'88 GMC 1500 Question...

My grandfather left me his favorite truck when he died. It's a 1988 GMC Sierra 2WD. It came stock with a 350cid motor. However at some point he had the engine replaced. I don't have enough knowledge to distinguish by eye if it’s a 350 in there or a 305 or what? How can I tell what size motor I have? Are there any markings or numbers?

Thank you.

Look on the front of the block, passenger sid, by the timing cover. There is a "flat spot" on the block with a series of numbers and letters on it. That is your engine code.

I don't have my book handy right now, but post that code and I or someone else will get back to you with the displacement and year.

My guess would be that he replaced it with a direct stock replacement. Although a 305 would fit and probably run okay, it may throw codes to the computer due to a different fuel consumption. I'm not sure about that, just guessing.

I am a non-computer mechanic! One of these days I'm gonna have to get with the times...

block numbers usually don't have letters in them

Check again to make sure you have the right number, then go to

www.mortec.com

They used to cast block types into the block surface on drivers side in rasied letters behind head next the bellhousing. Have you checked the option codes on the truck?

Archived