Computer Help

RyanbabZ71

Has anyone repaired a laptop screen? I have a dell 2500. Below is a pic of my problem. Been like this for about a month. I have it plugged into a monitor now.

I did break down and buy the following today :seeya:

Dell Dimension 3000 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)

Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

512M4

Monitors FREE UPGRADE! 15 in (15.0 in viewable) E153FP Analog Flat Panel

E153FPP

Hard Drive 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

Dell 720 Color Printer

Free Dell Color Printer 720 Qty: 1

laptop.jpg

laptop.jpg

laptop.jpg

laptop.jpg

I would say that the connection from the video driver to the screen went bad if it works fine when hooked up to another monitor. My Dell latitude screen started going all kinds of funky colors and Dell replaced it under the warranty. They came out to my work and did it. Was interesting to see how they did it. Mostly the screen cost more than the laptop now a days.

My wife just picked up a nice Gateway at Best Buy during our one weekend a year back to school no tax weekend. So we got it for a nice price without paying any state tax on it. :seeya:

Yea it works with a monitor hooked up.

This laptop has been problems since day 30 (1st month).

I have had the keyboard go out twice. 1st time Dell fixed under warranty. Sent it in Friday mid morning got it back early Monday morning. I was very happy.

Had the hard drive go out early last winter. Lost a bunch of stuff

Now my screen went out.

Wouldnt you know though it started working today right after I ordered the new computer. I ordered it because I needed something reliable for my online grad class and my gf starting PT school next week.

Ryan, it's either the cable itself, or the connection on either end. Those screens aren't terribly hard to take apart, if you know what you're doing.

I work on a business campus, we deploy approx. 1,000 computers a year (mainly laptops). The desktop PCs we deploy are Dell Optiplex GX-280s. P4 3.0, 512 MB of DC memory, 80 GB SATA HDD, CD/DVD burner, 17" FP monitor. Your new Dimension should be a nice system, our desktops are QUICK, I can't wait till I get one on my desk, when the warranty on my system expires...

Wouldnt you know though it started working today right after I ordered the new computer.

Uh-huh. Right.

That's exactly what I tell my wife when I feel the need for some more computer toys. :crackup:

j.k.

But I know your pain when a piece of hardware goes AWOL. I recently installed a third IDE hard drive (80GB WD WD800JB) onto an SATA port using an IDE to SATA adapter. I did that because I like keeping all of my drives on individual controllers (having more than one on a single controller / cable can actually slow the faster drive down). Anyway, turns out that the WD doesn't care for my SATA adapters, and I haven't had time to locate the old dual drive IDE cable so that I can (give up and) put it on the secondary connection with the C drive.. For now it's still mounted in a drive bay, but completely disconnected.

(Being a computer geek makes this situation seem worse than it sounds. :seeya:)

USA that all went way over my head haha

I cannot believe it but the screen is working for a second day in a row. I didnt plan on getting rid of it we will probably need 2 computers here.

They make this stuff called ProGold. It's a contact cleaner and it works great. I've used it to fix a lot of intermittant low current connections.

I think you can get it at RadShack now.

If you can pull the display apart and find any connectors, unplug them, spray them, and reconnect them. Since yours comes and goes, it's probably a broken wire (unlikely) or a bad connection (most likely).

Good Luck!

Heh. Sorry about that. I really AM a computer geek (was much worse before we got orders to here in NC and I picked a rental that can't get broadband internet though! :D). It all begins with the need for a new PC (and then a FASTER PC, faster video card, faster processor, more memory..) and goes downhill fast. Computers are evolving so fast that it's easy to spend more money on them than on our trucks, if you're not careful! I guess I really should thank my lack of high-speed internet for helping break the cycle and force me to get outside for some stuff (like cleaning my vehicles, adding stuff to my truck.. uh oh, gotta get those leather heated seat covers from autoleathers, that DVD Nav unit and dual headrest displays, tuned PCM, AACCCKKKK!!! :cheers: ).

I dunno guys. If it works with a monitor hooked up, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the display is toast. Laptops (I'm pretty sure) use teh same video card to drive both the external VGA input and the display inside the computer. I'd call Dell and tell em you want a new one.

It's the display itself or the cable between the system and the display. I've seen those cables go bad, and have a drawer full of good ones in my cube should I need one.

Yes, the LCD and external display use the same card, but you can enable them for dual-monitor with seperate outputs on some models. We have some that you can use as dual-monitor and the 2 displays will have 2 distinct desktops...

I think a display is like a GM ignition control module. Once it quits, it don't ever come back if all the connections are good. I've only replaced about 3 or 4 dead ones in my lifetime, so they are rare.

If it comes and goes, it's most likely a bad connection or cracked trace somewhere. I've seen bad solder joints cause this also. If everything else looks fine, heat up each pin on the connector with a pencil tip soldering iron, using just a little bit of new rosin core solder to touch up each one. I fixed my buddy's TV last week doing just this. Something was intermittant and I must have wiggled everything in the TV at least once trying to find it. I resoldered about 50 connections and one of 'em must have been it! It has been working perfect ever since...

If it works some of the time, it can be fixed. It just takes a little time and patience. Good Luck fixing yours! I hope you're successful!

Archived