Rear axle drain plug

swilliams1005

Question

0 answers to this question

Yep,Like GM-Tech said,You have to remove the cover itself on a lot of trucks.

I don't ever remember any of the Old-Body-Style trucks having a drain plug on the rear axle.

I cahnged my rear diff fluid the opther week and was planning on removing the cover.................luckily my 2000 silverado Z71 actually had a drain plug. Not sure which years or rear ends came witht he drain plug........I just got lucky cause every other truck I have had, I had to remove the cover.

:sigh:

Anyone know off hand what years do have the drain plug?

carguru,That sounds right to me on the 1/2 tons.

But I know most of the 2500HD's and 3500's still have a drain plug on the rear-end,At least I know our '04 2500HD parts truck has one cause I just used it! :(

No need to remove cover plate of newer trucks.

That's not necessarily true. Some do, but some don't. Just to verify I walked over to a pretty standard 2005 Silverado that is on the lift and there is no drain plug.

I haven't paid much attention to which ones do and which ones don't. Basically, look at yours and if you have a drain plug, consider yourself lucky I guess. The truck axles with synthetic fluid never need servicing, so there's really no need for a drain.

No need to remove cover plate of newer trucks.

That's not necessarily true. Some do, but some don't. Just to verify I walked over to a pretty standard 2005 Silverado that is on the lift and there is no drain plug.

I haven't paid much attention to which ones do and which ones don't. Basically, look at yours and if you have a drain plug, consider yourself lucky I guess. The truck axles with synthetic fluid never need servicing, so there's really no need for a drain.

Did '02 Yukon Denalis came from the factory with synthetic differential fluid?

I don't ever remember any of the Old-Body-Style trucks having a drain plug on the rear axle.

Did '02 Yukon Denalis came from the factory with synthetic differential fluid?

Light Duty Truck, Van, Utility Rear Axle Lubrication Service Interval - keywords differential fluid housing label oil #PIP3001A - (Nov 4, 2005)

2000-2006 All General Motors Light Duty Trucks, Vans and Utilities

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The service information and owners manual do not show a service interval for the 7.6, 8.6, 9.5, 9.75, 10.5, and 11.5 inch rear axles with or without G80 (locking differential).

Recommendation/Instructions:

These axles do not need to be serviced under normal operation due to the synthetic fluid that is used from the manufacturer.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

I cahnged my rear diff fluid the opther week and was planning on removing the cover.................luckily my 2000 silverado Z71 actually had a drain plug. Not sure which years or rear ends came witht he drain plug........I just got lucky cause every other truck I have had, I had to remove the cover.

:sigh:

Archived