Rust Flecks in Paint

I've got a white 04 2500 Crew and noticed I've got little rust flecks in the paint. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it's not rust, it's "atmospheric fallout". Which translates to crap in the air. I said there is rust in the paint. He said either way GM does not warranty the paint - only the body for rust through, besides, you're way past your warranty - 55,000 miles. The manufacturer won't cover this, you just need to clay bar the truck and that should take care of it.

Well, I clay barred the whole truck and polished it, it really feels sexy now, but the rust flecks are still there. They are embedded in the paint.

My friend who had a white Mustang GT had the same problem, but Ford admitted that thier problem was when the cars were transported on the train, the metal train wheels would throw up miniscule (sp) flecks of metal that would embed themselves in the still-soft paint then rust. He had his car color sanded and repainted on Ford's dollar. That's why you see white protection paper on the topsides of new vehicles en route to the dealers.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what have you done?

This happened to my wifes MINI Cooper also. The body shop at the BMW dealer told me its from the brakes, the dust settles on from the brakes hot and it melts right in to the paint. Thats why you cant polish it out. Thats what I was told anyway.

My Silver Birch Silverado has the same thing...even after I clay barred. Pissed me right off. Only way mine came off was to pick at it carefully, but I wouldn't recommend that. I'm just planning on putting up with it rather than scratching up my paint with my fingernails. I would imagine some product would remove it.

rail dust

there is a TSB on this. 04 may still be covered (call your dealer & find out)

the dealer will acid wash, buff and wax.

My 01 white Yukon had it, dealer did the steps above under warr. You would never know it had it now.

I've got a white 04 2500 Crew and noticed I've got little rust flecks in the paint.   I took it to the dealer and they told me that it's not rust, it's "atmospheric fallout".  Which translates to crap in the air.  I said there is rust in the paint.  He said either way GM does not warranty the paint - only the body for rust through, besides, you're way past  your warranty - 55,000 miles.  The manufacturer won't cover this, you just need to clay bar the truck and that should take care of it.

Well, I clay barred the whole truck and polished it, it really feels sexy now, but the rust flecks are still there.  They are embedded in the paint.

My friend who had a white Mustang GT had the same problem, but Ford admitted that thier problem was when the cars were transported on the train, the metal train wheels would throw up miniscule (sp) flecks of metal that would embed themselves in the still-soft paint then rust.  He had his car color sanded and repainted on Ford's dollar.  That's why you see white protection paper on the topsides of new vehicles en route to the dealers.

Does anyone else have this problem?  If so, what have you done?

Just get some Claybar.. It will take it RIGHT OUT ... It's not Fallout.. Most likely its Rail Dust from when it was delivered... Most likely never noticed it..

Reading is fundemental..... Sorry I did not read all the way the 1st time....

There are different levels of claybar.. you also may have used too much lubricant and it was not able to PULL out the rust..

I had this on my 1990 White Vette.. I simply spent more time and less lubricant on the rust spots...

There are different levels of claybar.. you also may have used too much lubricant and it was not able to PULL out the rust..

I had this on my 1990 White Vette.. I simply spent more time and less lubricant on the rust spots...

If I don't use enough lubricant, the claybar sticks to the paint. I was using Meguiar's Detail Mist for lube. Nobody has the Mother's detail spray without the claybar kit.

What are you guys using for lubricant with the claybar?

:(:thumbs::lol:

If I don't use enough lubricant, the claybar sticks to the paint. I was using Meguiar's Detail Mist for lube. Nobody has the Mother's detail spray without the claybar kit.

What are you guys using for lubricant with the claybar?

:driving::P:D

I typically use a detail mist also.. BUT.. I have used lightly soapy water.. Dawn Dish Detergent... It does get a little grabby but you have to keep the puck moving or it will stick..

Also I have used the Claybar like an eraser to hit a specific spot.. Works great..

Archived