An idea on making skid plate

Ok got this idea after reading a thread over on pacific audio.

You know the plastic brush guard under the front of the truck?  How much of a PITA would it be to make an aluminum or steel one?  Might be kinda cool.  Also where to buy supplies

Might be a fun project

If you had the equipment, it should be pretty easy.  Back in about '86, dad made some skid plates for our ATV's using some 1/4 inch steel he found laying around at the mines he worked at.  I can't remember the specifics of it, but I know he used a torch to cut it to fit and heat it up enough to bend it in the shape he wanted.  I can't remember if he cut out holes so it could be mounted in place or if he welded it right to the bottom of the frame.  Worked really well.  We didn't bother cleaning it up alot or painting it, but you'd probably want to do that for the truck.

Ryan,

Which plate are you talking about?  The one under the front differential or the piece under the radiator area?  The plate under my front diff is metal, but the one under the radiator is plastic.  I think that plastic one is mainly a splash guard to keep gravel or road debris from flying up in to the front of engine area.

ive been thinking about that same idea for awhile... just so much work to do in my metal and welding shop its hard to do my own projects...i tell ya work sucks i was thinking about some 1/4 " aluminum or steel dimond plate, its nice to have basically every type of metal in your shop

Ok guys, I'm finished with it.  After taking off the plastic skidplate I noticed that it had a crack in it already...and I don't it even use mine for working (1995 is the work truck)!  It really turned out better than I  anticipated.  I took several pictures for all of you.  Head on standing a ways away from it you can see the bottom of it...looks pretty neat.  I painted it bright silver.  I will have pics as soon as I get the ole 35mm gets developed.

Stepside (and others),

Do you really think that people would be interested buying one?  I hadn't really thought of that.  I would imagine that I could make it for a pretty reasonable price, just some work and steel involved.

is it shaped like the plastic one?

WOuld i like to buy one probably.  If it wasnt outrageous.

Also i would paint it myself (maybe add a sticker to it bowtie)

Ryan,

Well, more or less.  It is shaped exactly the same except that it does not have that big hump thing in the middle.  I could have added that but it would have taken a BUNCH more work but I couldn't see why it was needed.  I assume that maybe the hump is needed with a different motor or something, but on my truck it wasn't needed.  Basically make the skidplate shaped just like the outline of the plastic one, without the ridges and the hump and you have it.

Tom,

I could make the plate out of smooth steel but I would have to get enough people wanting a smooth one to warrant buying a 4x8 sheet of smooth steel.  I buy steel from a local steel seller and that is the smallest size it comes in.   Or, I could make it with the backside (which is smooth) of the diamondplate outward.  That would work fine as long as you didn't mind the inside of the skidplate being diamondplate.  As far as color, it is painted so you could do it in whatever color you wanted.  

I wish that I had a digital camera so that I could show you some pics...I will try to come up with a price or something or maybe you guys could help me come up with a fair price after I get some pics.  I don't want to make a fortune or anything but I would like for it to be worth my time.

Archived