Got A New Truck

Howdy gang. Been lurkin around here for about a year getting a feel for the GM trucks. Reading and asking questions. First I'd like to thank you all for answering some of my questions and for posting your experiences. They definately helped in my choice.

I had a 2003 Dodge Ram SLT Sport 4x4 lease that expired in November 2005. Been driving my 98 Grand Prix ever since, but now that spring is approaching I had to make a move to another truck so I could tow my TT.

Last night I picked up a 2006 GMC 1500 Sierra Crew Cab SLE1. Very nice truck. I chose the silverbirch color, with the following options: light duty pwr pack, heavy duty trailering, 3.73 rear axle, z71 off road pkg, 17" polished cast aluminum wheels, 6way power drivers seat, steering wheel radio controls, power mirros with signals, and bedliner.

15 miles in, here are some of my first impressions versus the ram:

Nicer ride, quieter cabin, less room in the front, more room in the back, less pedal effort, cheaper buttons and knobs, seems more powerful, more programmability for lights and stuff, more comfortable seats, less enclosed storage area under and behind seats, and better fuel economy - according to computer anyway.

All in all seams to be a great truck. I really love the smooth ride and I can't wait to see how it pulls my trailer.

One question I do have is..... Are there tie downs in the bed under my bedliner? If so where and how many? Looks like there may be, because there are feature lines in the liner that look like square outlines to cutout for tie down access.

Thanks again and looking forward to hangin around here :banghead:

Congratulations.

There should be a loop-type tie-down in near the bottom of each corner. The low position sometimes makes them hard to access after a load is in, so it helps to tie extentions of some sort on them. I know a bit of cowboy stuff, so I braided in a two-foot dally on each corner. This works well when tieing down the quarters to a couple of elk.

Steve

Howdy gang. Been lurkin around here for about a year getting a feel for the GM trucks. Reading and asking questions. First I'd like to thank you all for answering some of my questions and for posting your experiences. They definately helped in my choice.

I had a 2003 Dodge Ram SLT Sport 4x4 lease that expired in November 2005. Been driving my 98 Grand Prix ever since, but now that spring is approaching I had to make a move to another truck so I could tow my TT.

Last night I picked up a 2006 GMC 1500 Sierra Crew Cab SLE1. Very nice truck. I chose the silverbirch color, with the following options: light duty pwr pack, heavy duty trailering, 3.73 rear axle, z71 off road pkg, 17" polished cast aluminum wheels, 6way power drivers seat, steering wheel radio controls, power mirros with signals, and bedliner.

15 miles in, here are some of my first impressions versus the ram:

Nicer ride, quieter cabin, less room in the front, more room in the back, less pedal effort, cheaper buttons and knobs, seems more powerful, more programmability for lights and stuff, more comfortable seats, less enclosed storage area under and behind seats, and better fuel economy - according to computer anyway.

All in all seams to be a great truck. I really love the smooth ride and I can't wait to see how it pulls my trailer.

One question I do have is..... Are there tie downs in the bed under my bedliner? If so where and how many? Looks like there may be, because there are feature lines in the liner that look like square outlines to cutout for tie down access.

Thanks again and looking forward to hangin around here  :banghead:

Nice truck.....i have the same exact truck only in a 05. Not sure about the tie down but i think there are one in each corner if its like my work truck. Havent pulled the bedliner out yet to check. if there are some it would be nice because now i use rachet straps to the bed rails. Dont like doing that because it can bend them.

Autozone sells pretty cheap and nice looking seat covers that fit the front seats of these trucks They have a zipper on the side so you do not have to unbolt the seat belt to install them. I installed a set of these covers for about $ 45 and they look really good and match the seat color (dark grey) well.

I have the signal mirrors on my truck as well and I especially like the auto dimming feature of the driver's side mirror. I bought a Chevy instead of GM only because the local GM dealer did not care to give me a decent deal.

BTW, I would advise you to get a paint saver mat for your truck and install it under the bedliner. Otherwise the bedliner will rub off your paint in places down to bare metal.

Truck accessory places carry paint saver mats. They are thin liners that go under your bedliner. The cost is about $ 40.

Guest chevydeerhunter

She's a beauty! I've always loved that color because it looks classy and doesn't show up dirt as much. Enjoy!

As soon as I bought my new Chevy - I switched car insurance companies. I pay about 80 per month for full coverage on both of my trucks.

Call Geico and 15 minutes or less it will cost you $150 or more per month in insurance.

Give Farmers Insurance a call...

Interesting.  GMC Z71 truck does not come with color matching wheel flares standard.  Chevy Z71 does.

You need to add those and a nice set of moulded splash guards as well.

I dont think the color matching flares are standard on a Z71 Chevy. My flares were already on the truck, and as you can see they are the black. I believe the Z71 package is more about 4x4 features right?

Everytime I pull into a tight space I am thankful they are there to protect my investment. I will take them off eventually and replace them with the color matching flares. What are the moulded splash guards that you are talking about?

Archived