replaceing bed side

Dave P

Question

Hope you guys can give me a few tips on the best way to remove and replace one of the sides on my 94 gmc sierra. The salt here in NY has really done a job on it. Is it best to take whole bed off and replace it off frame? What's the fastest way to remove the bed? Do I need a spot welder to attach new side or can it be done with fastners?

Thanks so much for your help.

Dave P

0 answers to this question

I wouldn't be sure that rivets would have enough strength. I would recommend either welding or adhesive bonding.

I also remember that episode of Trucks. The truck he was building was a "pre-runner" style ranger. He was installing fiberglass fenders, so obviously, couldn't weld them.

I think you would be better off removing the bed to make the repairs. There's most likely going to be spot welds located in places that you just can't easily reach when it's mounted on the truck. A few bolts on the floor that hold it to the frame, disconnect the fuel filler neck, tail light wiring, remove the gate, and you're all set to lift it off with the help of a bunch of buddies. If you don't have enough friends to help, you can get a lifting device from Brut Manufacturing (www.brutmfg.com) called the Truck Bed Lifter. It was shown on that very same episode of Trucks too!

(Ok, time to post this before my browser decides to wipe all that typing yet again!)

Just a side note for you guys on PC's who have lost your posts because the browser times out...Use notepad to compose your note, then whey you're all ready to post, hit a Ctrl-A (Select All) and a Ctrl-C (Copy), then click on the GM-trucks post window and Ctrl-V (Paste) and you've got the post made with no chance of a timeout.

Archived