4L70E swap for 4L60E....anyone yet?

The 4L70E has been out for a bit. Has anyone replaced their failed 4L60E with the 4L70E? The M70 Heavy Duty Automatic trans is required/standard for the VortecMAX.

And for that matter is the 4L70E GM's equivilent to a performance built 4L60E? Real world ratings?

In THEORY, it should be a direct bolt and play. But I thought I would start this topic just in the event there's more, like ECM programming, tail cone swaps, etc.

the new 6 speed wouldn't work due to bolt pattern and you'd NEVER get the computer to talk like a 4L80E

But the 4L70E is an intruiging swap, we know it is rated to 10,400lbs towing so it must be beefier.

the new 6 speed wouldn't work due to bolt pattern and you'd NEVER get the computer to talk like a 4L80E

But the 4L70E is an intruiging swap, we know it is rated to 10,400lbs towing so it must be beefier.

Isn't the 4l70 geared just like the 4l60, but just beefier. If so, it would have that lower first gear like the 4l60

• 1 year later...

Any news yet guys on this 4L60E > 4l70E swap? I have a Suburban with a blown 60E and need to get a tranny in SOON. I was thinking about the 70E but Im not sure what is all different from the 60E.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Ok here is what I have found so far:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...34&hl=4l70e

This link mentions that some 70Es have a new speed sensor. Does anyone know if its digital?

Have you guys considered lightly built performance transmission from FLT? If you don't plan on going crazy with the truck a level 3 4L60 is 1500 bucks. How much would a stock 4L70E set you back for comparison sakes?

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/store/transmission.php

The short of the story is that I have $900 to spend so Im not looking at going the rebuilt way at all. Im just looking for a good used tranny that hopefully wont grenade inside of three months. So thats why Im lookn at the 70e. What do you guys think? Should I just go with the 65e and call it good?

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

So getting back to the original question.

Can you put a 4L70 in place of a 4L60? I can get one out of a trailblazer SS that had an aftermarket trans built for a Supercharged application and there is a low mileage core just sitting there waiting.

Is there any reason this will not work in a 2002 Sierra 1/ton with a 5.3L . My stock 4L60 is getting tired.

Will the programming work? Electrical connectors? etc???

Some information I've run across, but still no direct answers. A lot of just do a 4L80E.

1. physically yes, direct bolt-in

(these are heresay, and for some years don't make sense)

2. speed sensor is different signal type

3. control is different signal type

The 4L60E is offered even now, but GM Goodwrench reman are only ordered to match VIN, so signal types could make it a no-go. Most places list a 4L60E off-shelf rebuilt swap for years 97-2003.

Parts for the 4L65E are interchangable, but if you're doing a rebuild (even on a 4L65E) there seems to be a major consensus on at least two parts, Beast Sungear shell and Alto 3-4 9 clutch pack. Even with these changes, I was not able to find anyone posting longevity numbers.

I originally posted the question in the context of a 100% plug/burn-rubber replacement.

The 4L80E is now a fairly easy mod swap, but requires a harness adapter, computer programming and a crossmember cut/add.

Archived