Dorr hinge pins & bushings

30-A rider

Question

My 93 burbs driver door hinge pins and bushingare are way due for replacement. To get what I hoped is a premium pin I bought the pins and bushings from a Chev dealer. I have done hinge pins on my chevelles and my previous 84 burb but this one is different. I think I may need a spring compressor tool to do this for the door spring.

So my question is do I need to rent/nut this tool? Anyone ever done hinge pins on a model year like this and if so, any insight, recomendations, tricks or instructions they can offer?

Thanks,

Scott

0 answers to this question

My 93 burbs driver door hinge pins and bushingare are way due for replacement.  To get what I hoped is a premium pin I bought the pins and bushings from a Chev dealer.  I have done hinge pins on my chevelles and my previous 84 burb but this one is different.  I think I may need a spring compressor tool to do this for the door spring.

So my question is do I need to rent/nut this tool?  Anyone ever done hinge pins on a model year like this and if so, any insight, recomendations, tricks or instructions they can offer?

Thanks,

Scott

I would get the tool for that spring as it makes it very easy to replace it while being a heck of alot safer. Search the tool places on the net for gm door spring tool.

I bought my spring compressor tool for about $12 from a body supply shop. Money well spent. I was able to do one without the tool, but it took all day. With the tool it's about an hour job and a beer for your buddy steadying the door.

I agree with Mr. Smith 100%. You have to have the spring tool. I use very large channel lock pilers to press the bushings in. Then use a socket with the pilers to seat the bushings fully.

Question to Mr. Smith, Chevy Tech007 or anyone else who has done this type of hinge?

All other hinge pins I have done have been on Chevelles or Gm truck from the 80s..typically they were done by taking the entire door off. When doing my 93 pins any advice....do you leave the door on to do it or take it off completely?

Archived