Duramax Break In

I figure this has been covered before but didn't find anything when I searched.

How do you break in the Duramax? I expect to take delivery of a 2006 Duramax/Allison 2500 HD crew cab next week. I searched this site and the web and haven't found anything definitive.

Thanks.

Bill

I've owned my new 2006+ Chevy Duramax for about two months. At the time of delivery, I was told vary the speed and not tow during the first 500 miles; not jack rabbit starts and no sudden braking Taking this to heart, I drove both city and highway my new truck and gave it a total variety of chores.

Does "break-in" help? I surely do not know, but I can't hurt.

You will experience fairly low fuel mileage for the first few hundred miles. Mine suddenly started getting better and better at about the 700 mile mark. Currently, I'm running 16-17 in the city and a little better than 20 on the freeway.

I have many friends who own Duramaxes and they say that the mileage will increase during the first 10K miles.

You will absolutely love your new truck, my friend. The suspension is much improved over the early models of the 2500HD. Most impressive is the pure BRUTE power of the 650 ft/lbs of torque. Unbelieveable power in a smooooth package.

We will do our first towing with our new rig next week. I can see only happiness.

Hopefully, you got the new 2006 Camping Mirrors. They are absolutely best of breed.

Talk to you later,

Steve

I would take it easy the first 500 miles or so. Don't idle too long or accellerate too fast. After that drive it like you plan to drive it. If you drive hard, drive it hard. It seems these diesels learn as they "grow up".

I didn't have a diesel, but I had the 8.1. I don't think being gentle during break-in is all that necessary. Mine had 12 miles on it when I hooked up my 12,000 lb boat to it. Towed like a champ.

I bought a 2001 Dodge Ram with the HO diesel. Right in the owners manual it said loaded operation will enhance the break-in. Maybe thats the difference between Cummins and the Duramax (I would much rather have a new Dmax than anything else).

My work car, a 2005 Ford Crown Vic, gets driven with the go pedal to the floor more often then not. I got it when it had 150 miles on it 8 months ago. Now at 31,000 miles the only thing thats gone wrong is a bad catalytic converter, which has gone bad on quite a few newer Crown Vics. These cars usually last to 110,000 miles with only minor problems. Drive it like its a rental just has a whole new meaning with lights on top. :(

So in my opinion the break-in procedure doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

P.S. The new cop cars top out at 131.... If you can beat that you are home free... maybe. :mad:

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. This is my first diesel--can't wait for it to arrive!

2004GMC2500HD, out running the cop cars isn't too hard, but as a police friend of mine pointed out, "you can't out run a radio."

Bill

Drive it like its a rental just has a whole new meaning with lights on top.  :(

Naww, I prefer the little buttons that say "wail" and "ylp" :mad:

Because of where I live, the first thing I have to do when I get a new patrol rig is drive about 450 miles from the radio shop to home. Had one odometer that had all of 5 miles once when I climbed in. Thought that was kinda cool.

Can't say that I do much "breaking in". Once I get out of city limits onto the highway I just set the cruise at 65 and go. Last truck I turned in had 75,000 miles and not a thing wrong with it.

I agree with smujd, you can't outrun the radio or even the chopper. but i know the Texas DPS cars go way over 130 because a friend of mine got caught on I-10 this weekend at 155 and Texas DPS was on him so fast it would make your head spin. so you can try your luck but consider yourself warned

I agree with smujd, you can't outrun the radio or even the chopper. but i know the Texas DPS cars go way over 130  because a friend of mine got caught on I-10 this weekend at 155 and Texas DPS was on him so fast it would make your head spin. so you can try your luck but consider yourself warned

Although I haven't seen it first hand, my police friend tells me that some of the faster Japanese motorcycles actually can out run the typical police choppers. :mad:

Bill

Although I haven't seen it first hand, my police friend tells me that some of the faster Japanese motorcycles actually can out run the typical police choppers.  :mad:

Bill

Where I live there is an underground motorcycle club. All of their bikes are extreamly fast and very capable. I have seen them going through intersections dragging their bodies while the motorcycle is on its rearend on a special roll bar type thing. I have seen them pass me on the highway surfing their bike while they do a wheelie at 110mph The police here hate them because they are very hard to find and catch. We do not have any police cars that can catch them. Even the camaro cops. We do now have a police helicopter that can assist in pursuits though but it is not very fast so it could probably still be outrun. These bikes are not street legal. They have no license plates and the body panels on almost all of them are custom made to help achieve more speed. And I have to tell you they are some sweet sounding motors they have on there.

I've recently gotten assigned a new Vic as well as the new cars we've gotten in have been outfitted with front and rear radar antennas. The rest of our fleet does not have radar units, as they've replaced the 2 minimum marked/traffic cars with an Expedition for the accident investigators, and a fully marked car. I do like the sound of the new one, but I miss the 97 I had when I started in 99; I could drive that thing with both legs straight, which says a lot being 6'5. It seems they keep getting smaller every year. Of course I do have the Road King for when the nice days come, but so far we've been short on guys so it's been the car for me lately :mad:

Archived