I'm new at this and i need some help. I own a 1991 S15 Jimmy and i want to turn it into a serious off roader/rock crawler. I need help with the suspension and axles. I want to go with Dana 60's front and rear. So I know I have to get a straight axle converstion kit for the front, but i dont know where to get the axles or what size I really do need. The suspension I want to go with an 18 or so inch lift. If that is too big Please someone tell me. what all will i need and where are my major problems going to be?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new at this and i need some help. I own a 1991 S15 Jimmy and i want to turn it into a serious off roader/rock crawler. I need help with the suspension and axles. I want to go with Dana 60's front and rear. So I know I have to get a straight axle converstion kit for the front, but i dont know where to get the axles or what size I really do need. The suspension I want to go with an 18 or so inch lift. If that is too big Please someone tell me. what all will i need and where are my major problems going to be?

it can be done but it is a fairly complex job. to give you an idea go to S10extremist.com. they will have tons of info on this swap, it has been done many times.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to pavementsucks.com for a really good amount of info. 18 inches is, my guess, way too much lift, your big thing should be articulation, which is the ability of the axle to flex to its surrounding terrain. If you put a SAS on an S10, ( s15, same difference) and you use leaf springs instead of coils or coilovers, you are gonna probably have a stiffer ride, and will probably flip the sucker with 18 inches of lift. also you will have to narrow the D60s if you want to be street legal, but most crawlers that I have seen have full size axles under them.

Rob :cheers:

Archived